How to handle the egg when candling?

yanks26

Songster
11 Years
Jan 9, 2009
Connecticut
When it comes time to candle the eggs, do I remove each egg from the auto turner one by one and candle them? Or do I just pass the light over the top of the egg and leave them in the auto turner?

Any other tips or advice?

I pick each one off the turner and put the light at the bottom. I try not to move the egg very much or hold it very long. Sometimes you can see better holding the light at the side but don't turn the egg.

I take each egg out and shine the light down through the air cell. I do rotate the egg very gently while shining the light. I have brown eggs and sometimes they are very hard to see into. Shining the light down through the air cell really helps to see in these.

Last edited:
I ususally can leave it in the carton and put my candler(flashlight) on top of the egg. Unless it is really dark I don't usually need to pick up the eggs but if I do I just hold it gently and rotate it to see movement in the egg. As soon as I see definite movement I move on to next egg quickly so they are not off the heat long.

When mine are in a turner, there are alot of eggs usually I set 24 or more. I just pass the flashlight over the tops of each egg without taking them out of the turner. Works for me and doesn't take as much time. You can see right down into the egg for development.

Back
Top Bottom