How to help my rooster to accept a new hen

Katakornchicks

Songster
Oct 6, 2021
Hey folks. I recently got myself a beautiful new EE hen to add to my flock. Everything seemed to go well at first and my frizzle EE rooster came up to do a mating dance for her almost immediately. However, she had come from a flock without roosters, and apparently mistook this display as aggression instead of affection. She attacked him and he attacked back. Everyone was fine, but unfortunately that seems to have put a bad taste in the roosters mouth and he hates her now. And since he hates her, all his hens hate her too. My flock and rooster has always been extrodinarly accepting to new comers, from new adults, to pullets, to ducks, to chicks. They are a very laid back non-aggressive flock for the most part and there is rarely any bullying because they have PLENTY of space for the size flock they are. Moreover I raised the rooster myself from an egg in my bathroom and hes just a big baby. But this new hen? She is having a time poor thing. She's not aggressive either and is very submissive and un-assertive (despite her initial fight with the rooster) she spends her days isolated from the rest of the flock, trying to escape the enormous run. Sometimes she roosts during the day to hide from the other chickens. Every other chicken she gets near attacks her. It's been over a week and there is virtually no improvement. None of the chickens have been seriously injured or experienced major feather loss through all this bickering other than a few feathers being pulled. I mostly just feel bad for the hen. Is there anything I can do to help or will it just be something that time has to handle? The new hen is very sweet and loves human attention. Would it be a good idea to put her a separate coop with just the rooster to let them figure out their differences? PXL_20230725_172935185.jpg

Normally when introducing new chickens, I would put them in a small run (or large crate) for a day or two with food, water, and bedding inside (or very near if it’s a small run) the normal chicken run or coop. This allows the old chickens to see and talk to the new chicken and get used to them.

Back
Top Bottom