How to identify a good breeder?

Critt112

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2022
Hi everyone! Just wanted some clarification on exactly what to look for in a breeder. I recently purchased a pullet from a fully “certified” breeder, however things took a turn for the worse.
So when I purchased it, it was a quick transaction, the bird was already contained and I put it in my car with just a quick look. Upon arriving home I realized the said bird had a terrible lice/mite infestation. Notified breeder who immediately apologized and refunded me the money paid for the bird. I have Elector PSP on hand as a precaution (I’ve always heard that lice/mites are a “when” and not an “if” situation and wanted to be prepared). I kept the pullet quarantined and treated accordingly, but it was still very lethargic, eating and drinking little amounts and was also VERY thin. I added vitamins to water etc and basically did everything I knew to help. Unfortunately the bird only lived about 72 hours after purchase. My question is, how do you find GOOD ethical breeders? I feel like this entire situation could have been avoided had the bird had good care. Any advice?

Npip number, while not completely necessary, if they went to the trouble of getting one, they are likely in the up and up, if they say they have one but don't divulge it, run.
A quick search on the Internet
Full transparency in living conditions, breeding stock and allowing a full look over before you load the birds.

Npip number, while not completely necessary, if they went to the trouble of getting one, they are likely in the up and up, if they say they have one but don't divulge it, run.
A quick search on the Internet
Full transparency in living conditions, breeding stock and allowing a full look over before you load the birds.
So I just looked up the breeder, it is NPIP BUT the stock codes listed are only for turkey and quail…there’s my sign I guess 🥴

Back
Top Bottom