How to improve my quail coop?

Oob Child

Crowing
May 13, 2023
So I have a coop for three jumbo quail, and I'm looking to improve it after my quail got scared and hit their head. I thought it was cute, he was bouncing around and popping like popcorn, but I now know that this can hurt them and is caused by distress. I only know this thanks to @Kiki and @Wyorp Rock .
tinywow_1000000782_28495697.gif

The coop looks like this.
PXL_20230624_212708454.jpg

There is a dust bath (sand) in the hidden bit at the top corner, and the top level has solid ground with paper towels in it. The bottom level has wire ground. Their water source is in the bottom left corner closer to the front. There is a ramp connecting the two levels at the back. There is a cloth I cover the front of their cage with at night.
This photo is a bit old, and I have made the following edits to the setup:
-replaced the makeshift bottle lid on a cup shell grit holder next to the feeder with a mini food holder
-added wire to the gap in the front

Kiki had some cool ideas of adding fake plants and cut up dollar tree baskets to make them feel safe, sharing these photos of her amazing setup.
PXL_20230706_210202473.jpg
PXL_20230706_210143021.jpg
PXL_20230706_210210034.jpg
PXL_20230706_210154638.jpg

I'm planning on taking Kiki's excellent advice as soon as I get back from holidays (the quail are currently at my pop's). I'm also downsizing the feeder to make space for more hiding places.

Are there any other ways I can improve this without taking up too much space? I'm looking to make a slightly more natural, low maintenance environment for them.
(No, I don't have space outside).
(Yes, they are good at using the ramp)

I'm planning on adding two more quail in it, as there should be enough space for them.

Last edited:
@Kiki was the one to suggest the fake plants and dollar store baskets, but I do the baskets too. I use real plants, but I expect them to get destroyed, and they do. They really like the baskets because they feel safe while still being able to see out of them.

The main improvement I see is hiding places. Because you have limited room, you might consider hanging some fake plants (not vines, they can get tangled up in those) upside down from the ceiling. This will give them cover without taking up ground space.

@Kiki was the one to suggest the fake plants and dollar store baskets, but I do the baskets too. I use real plants, but I expect them to get destroyed, and they do. They really like the baskets because they feel safe while still being able to see out of them.
Oops.. I'll change that.
The main improvement I see is hiding places. Because you have limited room, you might consider hanging some fake plants (not vines, they can get tangled up in those) upside down from the ceiling. This will give them cover without taking up ground space.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom