How to Introduce Chickens to Ducks?

Mar 7, 2022
SE Ohio
As you may know, I *just* got my girls. I’m just preparing ahead of time, lol.

the title is my question; how do I introduce new chickens (around 3) to a pre-established group of 4 female ducks? At the time of introducing, they would be about a month or so old. I have seen keeping them separated- this, I can do. How long? Is there a way I can help the flocks merge?

"See and be seen" is the way, and the biggest problems I've had with ducks and chcikens together is when they shared the same brooder space - ducks get so big, so fast, and are so ungainly they can injure smaller chickens when waddling for food.

Once your chicks are decent size, they are much less vulnerable to that, a tiny bit more resilient, much faster than the typical duck, and they can fly out of the way (and will nest/roost above the ducks as well). See and be seen after brooding gives them time to get to that size. My new chicks join my existing flock (of adult chickens and adult ducks) around 8 weeks age, typically. They've done so successfully as early as 6 weeks, but I find they have difficulty competing for food (I don't free feed) under those circumstances.

"See and be seen" is the way, and the biggest problems I've had with ducks and chcikens together is when they shared the same brooder space - ducks get so big, so fast, and are so ungainly they can injure smaller chickens when waddling for food.

Once your chicks are decent size, they are much less vulnerable to that, a tiny bit more resilient, much faster than the typical duck, and they can fly out of the way (and will nest/roost above the ducks as well). See and be seen after brooding gives them time to get to that size. My new chicks join my existing flock (of adult chickens and adult ducks) around 8 weeks age, typically. They've done so successfully as early as 6 weeks, but I find they have difficulty competing for food (I don't free feed) under those circumstances.
I can’t imagine trying to brood them together, lol!

im sorry, I’m a bit confused. do You mean having them co exist in the same space knowing the chickens can roost up /run away from the ducks?

Back
Top Bottom