How to keep a hen quiet?

morrowtom63

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2022
How do I prevent a hen from making a loud clucking sound when she lays an egg? The sound is like a rooster and the landlord of my apartment might hear the noise. Do no-crow-collars work as they are advertised? Are there any bird tricks I can teach the hen to be quiet, like they have for parrots?

After 10 years of raising chickens, I have found no way to keep a hen quiet, especially after laying an egg. It's known as the egg song, and it's in their nature.

Some are quieter than others. I had a Silkie hen that honestly shook the neighborhood and was louder than my roosters. She finally got on my nerves so much that I rehomed her...to a country life.

I do use No Crow Collars with my roosters because I've got closer neighbors, though I'm still out of city limits and chickens and roosters are completely legal where I am...but it only takes one disgruntled neighbor making tons of complaints.

My No Crow Collars (that I get from My Pet Chicken) are excellent. I've not tried it, but I have heard they can quiet a noisy hen as well.

You do have to fiddle with them a bit to find the "sweet spot" that stops the noise, doesn't choke the bird, but does what it's supposed to. Place at the very base of the neck. First day is loose. Bird will obviously try to get out of it. Then slowly tighten up until it you can get a pinky tip under the edges (both top and bottom) of collar.

Watch bird very carefully for the first 48 hours to make sure they are eating and drinking well and that the crop is filling and clearing well.

Check weekly to make sure nothing is irritating or clogging the crop.

So, I'd say it's worth a try. The last time I bought one it was about $20. Pretty cheap to keep a bird you like.

Good luck.
LofMc

I'm no help here but just came to ask: You keep a hen in your apartment? I've never heard of this, but more power to ya.
exactly what I was thinking.

I have also never found a way to quiet a hen (or really any animal really-I mean do you collar a cow?-joking btw). Might not be what you want to hear but chickens are chickens, they make noise, they poop, they eat, they are entertaining. I think that maybe a chicken might not be the best choice for you.

Would you want to have to wear a collar to stop you from talking?

exactly what I was thinking.

I have also never found a way to quiet a hen (or really any animal really-I mean do you collar a cow?-joking btw). Might not be what you want to hear but chickens are chickens, they make noise, they poop, they eat, they are entertaining. I think that maybe a chicken might not be the best choice for you.

Would you want to have to wear a collar to stop you from talking?
Yes, OP may want to consider a smaller bird such as a parakeet. Hens will always be moderately loud, so it might not be the best choice for an apartment. OP, maybe wait until you get some land (even some landlords of houses allow chickens) before you have a chicken. I know that's not what you want to hear, but I just see it being pretty difficult to keep a hen quiet. Egg songs are loud lol

Back
Top Bottom