How to keep bunnies warm in the winter

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
This year I bought a trio of Mini Rex's, and they are not handling to cold as well as my previous, bigger, hardier, rabbits. Two of the three were raised in barns (insulated, i presume), and the third was not, but she doesn't seem as bothered by the lower temperatures. It has been getting down to the 30s and 40s at night. All of my rabbits live in sturdy outdoor hutches, and they each have a little "hidey-hut" made of wood and stuffed with hay. That's where they have been spending most of their time lately. I was wondering what ya'll do to keep your smaller-breed rabbits warm and cozy in the fall and winter. Thanks! Note: we do not have electricity out where I keep my rabbits, but I could run an extension cord out there if need be.

I always shoved a bunch of grass hay in the hutches....literally filling the hutches.
Mine made tunnels through the hay and did quite well.

I kept mini lops and Netherlands dwarf bunnies.
Frozen water was more of an issue than cold temp here.

My hutches were solid roof and three sides solid with a wire floor. When I built them I made 2 rows facing each other and the solid roof peaked in between so my walk area was under the roof too.

Thanks for the idea @21hens-incharge. Did your rabbits try to eat the grass hay? I've heard grass hay isn't great for rabbits.

If they did it never hurt them.

We took in 4 bunnies that were "to old to make the move out of state".
They failed to tell us the females had been bred. Within 2 weeks we went from 4 to 16.

My young ones were over 7 years old when I gave them away. The older ones were still alive and doing well when they went to their new homes.

Timothy hay is grass hay sold as feed for bunnies and other rodents.
:confused:

Oh, I think I misunderstood you. Are you meaning Timothy hay? Some people call grass hay timothy, and timothy grass hay. We feed our rabbits timothy hay

Oh, I think I misunderstood you. Are you meaning Timothy hay? Some people call grass hay timothy, and timothy grass hay. We feed our rabbits timothy hay

I don't think you misunderstood. I bought bales of grass hay and used that. Never did I ever have an issue with it.

I also bought bales of alfalfa for them.

I feed my bunnies a mixed grass hay. No Timothy or alfalfa here. It's also used as bedding which is seriously bulked up in cold spells, and cleaned out in warmer weather or as needed.

Bunnies are good at keeping themselves warm. I will often find bunnies covered in frost during those extremely cold days. Their coats hold heat in so well that it doesn't melt off the frost.

I have seen hordes of people swearing by timothy and nothing else, alfalfa and nothing else, and grass hay and nothing else. :gig Re: the hay debate I think it's always best to just go with what you can get quality locally and adjust if you have issues. Everyone seems to say everyone else's hay choice causes problems without many problems ever actually manifesting with those that use it. I use timothy; works great too. I imagine grass might work better for combo bedding, though.

Back
Top Bottom