How to make a friendly hen?

Goannie

Hatching
Jan 9, 2024
Hi all,
I have recently gotten two new hens from a poultry market (Silkie hen - 4 months, Seabright hen - 4 months) and am looking for advice on how to make them friendlier. Since we have gotten them home they have been very scared of us and will not let us anywhere near them. We have tried sitting outside while they roam to allow them to get more comfortable with us but it doesn't seem to be working. Should I be picking them up and cuddling them even if they are hard to catch?

Any advice would be appreciative.
Thank you!

Hi all,
I have recently gotten two new hens from a poultry market (Silkie hen - 4 months, Seabright hen - 4 months) and am looking for advice on how to make them friendlier. Since we have gotten them home they have been very scared of us and will not let us anywhere near them. We have tried sitting outside while they roam to allow them to get more comfortable with us but it doesn't seem to be working. Should I be picking them up and cuddling them even if they are hard to catch?

Any advice would be appreciative.
Thank you!
Congratulations on your new chickens. I have heard a similar question before. Occasionally bring them treats, bond with them, talk to them, respect their own space and give them a nice fun coop with lots of activities.

Good advice.^^ Chickens have individual personalities. Some are more food driven, some more curious, some are more friendly or skittish. Certain breeds will have tendencies, but you will definitely find variations even within a breed.

It is easiest if you start with chicks and handle them daily. Even then, only some will become friendly and okay with petting or being picked up.

Have some patience. Remember- you are a giant and scary. So chasing and holding them against their will may be counterproductive.

Spend time with them. Offer them treats (but not too much). If they let you touch them, pet them lightly. Hopefully at least one will become friendly enough to allow more handling, but there are no guarantees.

Last edited:
:goodpost:
What they said.

Also, remember it takes time. I have a new 1.5 year old hen that I had almost 2 months before she would sit next to me on a bench. And another that I raised from a chick (she'll snuggle with me), finally decided that the person I hire to take care of them when I'm not around was ok to fly onto (and she knows him for almost a year now).

Back
Top Bottom