How to make free-rangeing hens (laying all over large bushy garden) to use nesting boxes?

buttersbrood

Chirping
Oct 5, 2021
Aotearoa New Zealand
Hi wise chicken people!

Our 8 hens (lots of different breeds) free-range in our garden. We're in New Zealand, it's summer and our garden has grass, a small orchard and lots of trees and undergrowth. It's not a massive garden, but not small either (about 1000 m2) And it's a bit wild. Oh, and they tend to roam into the bush at the back of our garden too. And the neighbors sometimes.

We have 4 laying boxes, which 1 of the hens uses. A couple lay under a door leaning against a shed wall. The others... well, they lay in very secret spots throughout the garden. Every now and then we'll find a large nest of eggs, eg underneath a bush, out of sight. But mostly, the eggs are lost. To us anyway.

We love our chickens. However, we do require them to pay their way by sharing their eggs with us 😉

We've secretly followed them around several times, hoping to see where they lay their eggs. But they are smarter than we are and look at us with their beady eyes and don't lay until we've left. After which they merrily go about their secret laying business.

What to do? So many eggs (at least 3 a day) are being wasted... I heard about someone who made these small 'tipis' all over their garden with hay and fake eggs in them. Would that work?

Also, I've taken to locking 2 hens in a coop to see what happens. 1 gave in and started using the laying box provided within a week. The other one - nothing yet... how long will it take for the laying hen to get into a routine of laying in the nesting box? I'm hoping she'll keep laying in the nesting box once I let her free range again?

Any thoughts on these rebellious ladies?

thanks so much everyone!

Hi wise chicken people!

Our 8 hens (lots of different breeds) free-range in our garden. We're in New Zealand, it's summer and our garden has grass, a small orchard and lots of trees and undergrowth. It's not a massive garden, but not small either (about 1000 m2) And it's a bit wild. Oh, and they tend to roam into the bush at the back of our garden too. And the neighbors sometimes.

We have 4 laying boxes, which 1 of the hens uses. A couple lay under a door leaning against a shed wall. The others... well, they lay in very secret spots throughout the garden. Every now and then we'll find a large nest of eggs, eg underneath a bush, out of sight. But mostly, the eggs are lost. To us anyway.

We love our chickens. However, we do require them to pay their way by sharing their eggs with us 😉

We've secretly followed them around several times, hoping to see where they lay their eggs. But they are smarter than we are and look at us with their beady eyes and don't lay untilR we've left. After which they merrily go about their secret laying business.

What to do? So many eggs (at least 3 a day) are being wasted... I heard about someone who made these small 'tipis' all over their garden with hay and fake eggs in them. Would that work?

Also, I've taken to locking 2 hens in a coop to see what happens. 1 gave in and started using the laying box provided within a week. The other one - nothing yet... how long will it take for the laying hen to get into a routine of laying in the nesting box? I'm hoping she'll keep laying in the nesting box once I let her free range again?

Any thoughts on these rebellious ladies?

thanks so much everyone!
Hello. My easter eggers (Americanas) used to hide their eggs in the timber. I just locked them up until they got used to their boxes.

Thanks @aart ! I'll try. Unfortunately our coop is too small to contain them all. Might try a selection...
Is there any way you can build a bigger coop? I fear you're not going to solve this problem until all your girls feel that the coop, with nests, is "home," and a safe place to lay their eggs. Typically it's advised to provide 4 sq ft of floor space for each hen, not counting space taken up by nesting boxes, feeders and waterers. In other words, if you have these items in the coop, your coop must be bigger to accommodate them. Where do the birds roost at night? Are they not locked in the coop, safe from predators? Or are predators not a problem in your area?

Back
Top Bottom