How to put on a diaper

Chic-keyLady

Chirping
Aug 21, 2023
Hey y’all!

I have a 2 month old chick. She sleeps in a dog crate but I let her out every day so she can stretch her legs. Well sometimes she poops… crazy I know. And as much as I’d love to let her wander. I just simply can’t let her poop on everything. Her diaper came in the mail today. I tried to put it on her but it didn’t go well. She was suspicious around me after so I just kept giving her treats and left it alone. But if she’s going to be a house chicken she needs a diaper! How do I get the dang thing on her all the way without traumatizing her?? Help!

First off, I suggest putting your pullet in a flock. Chickens are social animals who need to live around their own species.

Can you post pictures of the diaper? For a two month old pullet, it most likely is way too big for her. I suggest letting her free range outside (if it's safe, predator wise) so she can get some grass and sunlight which is healthy for her. She can also dust bath outside which is good for her nails and keeping her clean.

First off, I suggest putting your pullet in a flock. Chickens are social animals who need to live around their own species.

Can you post pictures of the diaper? For a two month old pullet, it most likely is way too big for her. I suggest letting her free range outside (if it's safe, predator wise) so she can get some grass and sunlight which is healthy for her. She can also dust bath outside which is good for her nails and keeping her clean.
I could bring one of her sisters inside but she’s been sneezing so I originally brought her in to treat it. Sometimes I’ll let her out in the chicken run to get some time outside and dust bathe

628C8AB4-0E02-4CCC-85A2-2C30580DF59A.png

I could bring one of her sisters inside but she’s been sneezing so I originally brought her in to treat it. Sometimes I’ll let her out in the chicken run to get some time outside and dust bathe
Is she all better now? If she is, it might be best to return her to her flock. If she isn't, there is experts who could help you treat her if you need help. ;)
And they didn't send any instructions with this, right? What size is it? I'd say the bow goes on top and the bottom strap goes in between the legs. I would try putting it on at night in low light where she might be too tired to care. If it's too small or too big for her, it will be too complicated for her to wear. When you put it on her before, did she get her claw caught up in it (the front, specifically)? Could your fingers comfortably be run under all the straps and in between her bottom blade (the blade-like bone on the bottom of her body)? Size and comfort could be why she acted the way she did; but it also could be the unfamiliarity of it too. If it's size or comfort, it'll probably never work. If it's the unfamiliarity, she might need help getting used to it. Let's try to figure which one it is, and go from there. Keep in mind, it can be both reasons why she's having a problem with it.

Back
Top Bottom