How to sell/ship/package hatching eggs and how to ship live chicks???????

Mar 8, 2024
Hello, there wasn't really any section to put this thread in so I just put it in incubating and hatching eggs.
I might want to sell hatching eggs sometime, but I did a lot of research and didn't find the info that I was looking for. I wanted to know, do you just grab eggs from the nesting boxes assuming that they are probably fertilized or do you put them in the incubator until you see a little development? If you ship them when there is an embryo in there wouldn't it get ruined in transport or because of the weather? I heard that most people use those styrofoam egg things to ship their eggs in, do any of you know a place where you can get them cheap?
When posting them online for sale do I include the price for shipping?
I'm not quite positive for sure that I'm going to be selling hatching eggs but I just wanted to get a good idea of all the expenses involved. I'm going to be selling mixed breed hatching eggs if I do decide that I'm going to, so I bet they are not worth that much since they're not pure breeds.
Also.......If I want to sell live chicks, how much does it cost to ship to people and how much could I get for mixed breeds do you think?

Thank you that's all my questions for now!☺️

The shipping of chicks you need to check with USPS as they have strict rules about it.

For shipping eggs, I've shipped hatching eggs many times and had many hatching eggs shipped to me. NEVER put them in the incubator first. It's going to be about a week until they get set back in the incubator, and would die in the meantime. If you want to know fertile ratio, take a few eggs, crack them on a plate and see what you get.

You can fit 1 dozen in a small USPS Priority box but roomier in the medium. ($18.45 to ship).

I bought a roll of small bubble -- bubble packing stuff, cut it in about 6" squares, wrap it around and tape each egg individually. No eggs ever broke.

Once some were sent to me that had little bubble packets or envelopes for the eggs. I also saw someone used those styrofoam pipe insulation tubes. The latter is probably the greatest way to go, but have to put them in strategically so no eggs butt up to each other.

I'm NPIP and my post office shrugged wondering what that was. I don't even bother anymore. I ship, and they're shipped to me. Who are the NPIP police?
Each state has their own 'boss' when it comes to shipping rules.
https://www.poultryimprovement.org/documents/OfficialStateAgencies.pdf

1712886699520.png

1712886727151.png

Last edited:
Each state has their own 'boss' when it comes to shipping rules.

I was gonna post this, but you beat me to it.

I heard that most people use those styrofoam egg things to ship their eggs in, do any of you know a place where you can get them cheap?

I bought a memory foam mattress topper and have been cutting pieces off of it to pack my shipped eggs in. One layer on bottom, 2nd layer in center with holes cut for the eggs, 3rd layer on top.
The priority mail boxes are free from the Post Office.

IMG_3420.jpeg

IMG_3453.jpeg
IMG_3422.jpeg

I'm NPIP and my post office shrugged wondering what that was. I don't even bother anymore. I ship, and they're shipped to me. Who are the NPIP police?
I have been folding the NPIP VS Form 9-3 and taping it to the top of my box right next to the address label. It is there if anybody wants to see it. There is also another copy inside the box with the eggs. I would rather it be there in case it is needed so I don't risk my shipment getting quarantined or destroyed.

I don't start selling hatching eggs from a flock until after I have hatched eggs from that flock and verified high fertility and hatch rates.
The last time I hatched eggs I got only 3-4 that weren't viable and 10 that hatched, do you think that is good? I have 2 roos to 11 hens.

Back
Top Bottom