How to stay sane

icy_flames

Songster
Jan 9, 2021
CO
Hi everyone. I am an urban owner approaching nearly two years of this very interesting journey of backyard chicken keeping. It's definitely one of the coolest hobbies out there. Waking up early in the morning to get my girls ready for the day and spending a couple hours of my time at night after work winding down, filing away the stress I have from a very demanding job and sometimes home life stuff.

I guess I feel kind of silly asking you all this but how do you deal with issues in your flock without just completely breaking down? Currently I have a very stubborn buff orpington I'm trying to break from being broody. Today is day 3 and I can't entirely tell if she is fully broken or not. I cannot give her eggs or chicks.

My Java has somehow injured two of her toenails in the last week. One was a back toe that would not stop bleeding right before they were set to roost for the night. I wiped it clean and applied pressure to no avail. I didn't have any anti-bleeding powder at the time ( now i do) so out of desperation decided to just throw some dirt on it. The next morning she was healed. Now she has a front toe bleeding consistently I cannot get it to stop even with Anti bleed power. For a little while it looked like it has stopped. Thankfully I had the day off today so I went to check on her and her face is completely covered with blood from scratching her face with the bloody toenail. I brought her inside put some more anti bleed powder on the wound applying lots of pressure I put a small amount of gauze on top and wrapped it with black duct tape. She does keep trying to pick it off but I'm hoping this will finally just stop the bleeding. She is now sitting in the only broody cage I have, had to take the broody out, because I don't want her walking around too much. maybe in the morning when I check her dressing and see if it's better. I don't think clipping her nails would help because I looked at her nails and her quick is nearly to the top. like her nails are legit THAT long! 😱

Then I have an Australorp that's going through a very hard molt right. Last week was really bad she looked so uncomfortable. This week is better but I'm always afraid the other hens will take interest in plucking the feathers and start all sorts of new problems. So far I've been lucky and all of my hens get fresh meat or scrambled eggs everyday so I'm definitely focused on upping the protein with her. She is the least urgent issue right now but still an issue.

Maybe I just needed to do a good long vent but today is knocking my spirits down. So much going on at once. I'm doing everything I possibly can in the setting that I have but I just feel like I'm failing.

You are not failing. Things happen.

Failure in chicken keeping:
* insufficient water, or dirty water
*insufficient feed, poor quality feed
* physically abusing your birds
* over crowding or allowing canibalism

Chickens get injured, and chickens die. Many chickens do not live much more than 3-4 years, regardless what you do. Enjoy them, do your best, but a bloody toe, is not your fault, and more than likely will heal up just fine. Look around, see if you can figure out how it is getting hurt, but don't feel guilty.

Molt is a natural state of affairs. The only time molt can give problems is if you are keeping them in too small of an area. If so, sell some birds down. The broody hen can quit in a week from now. Sometimes, I give mine a dunk in cool water once a day, and put in the cage.

The best course for feeling guilt is action. But I see nothing to feel guilty about.

Mrs K

When it rains, it pours. You're doing fine, you are an involved and caring chicken keeper. My java has rather flat feet, and her nails don't seem to wear down like my other girls do. I've had to trim them a couple of times, and she's due for another trim (as I noticed when I put her in the broody cage AGAIN :he ) Maybe it's a breed thing? It might not hurt to trim as much as you can. Anyway, nails breaking is not too big a deal, my dogs do it a lot, and you are now equipped to handle it. They do look dramatic, but unless the whole quick is exposed, there is very little risk of infection, even then, I wouldn't worry much. You can, however, vent here as much as you need to, we all have been to a "what the heck am I doing? " moment, and we understand. Tomorrow you'll love them again.

Sometimes, it does seem to pile up, doesn't it?

You're not failing. Taking care of critters is like the ups and downs of a roller coaster.

My Prairie Bluebell Egger had very long nails, and I have trimmed many chicken nails in the past. This spring, however, I got one of hers too short, and I could not stop the bleeding. not with cornstarch or anti-bleeding powder, gauze and tape. I already had an appointment with my half-hour away vet to look at another bird, and the receptionist insisted I rush in with my bleeding girl. The vet had to cauterize the toe to stop the bleeding.

On the other hand, my Salmon Faverolles have nearly no nails left; they are always losing an entire nail somehow and with no serious consequences. It looked like my Midnight Majesty Maran had nearly been slaughtered when she lost a nail in the coop. Blood was everywhere. Despite my panic at the sight of what appeared to be a blood bath, Eleanor was fine with no intervention.

Over the past few months, I have had two of my original ducks drop dead within two days and for no apparent reason other than possibly age, and a third duck developed a horrible infection in her leg, went to the vet three times and eventually died, despite antibiotics, pain meds and laser treatment. I was so busy dealing with my poor duck that I failed to notice my Welsummer hen was sick; she died, too.

I am hoping my American Buff goose will FINALLY stop being broody. There is no gander; her eggs will never hatch. But, I may lose a hand if I have to keep reaching under her and removing eggs.

So, when you ask how you keep from breaking down, I can assure you that I have no good answers. Tears are not unknown in my coops.

But, eventually, things calm down again, and the poultry become a source of stress relief and enjoyment. I hope for the best for you and all your chickens. Vent whenever you need to.

Sorry you're going through a rough patch.

My persistent broody needed 5 days in the crate on her worst episode so 3 days isn't a problem.

Then I have an Australorp that's going through a very hard molt right. Last week was really bad she looked so uncomfortable.

A really hard molt *looks* horrible, but such a molt is generally considered the sign of a top-quality production bird.

This is my Chipotle's story: https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/25208310

I know this is an old thread, but I really love the stories and support you are all sharing!

It does always feel like there is some issue, illness, or emergency, which makes me feel like I am doing something wrong, but it helps to know everyone goes through this.

I needed this today, so thank you all :)

Back
Top Bottom