how to tell if my babies are laying?

Chickenslol

Songster
Sep 26, 2020
idk man, no clue
well it finally happened! my girls are about old enough to lay, and one of them is starting to submit and crouch when i stand over her which is usually a sign that she’s going to lay soon (at least in my experience). The problem is I’ve got four full grown chickens who are laying as well. it’s winter so their laying schedule is off and we light out coop at night so i wanted to know how to tell if she’s laying without using the food dye method

Typically, I notice when a smaller egg shows up, sometimes with a bit of blood. It can be harder to tell if you have all brown egg layers or most eggs look similar in size and shape.
You can look at their vents to tell if one is a layer. Vents that are dry and closed looking are nonlayers. Layers will have moist vents.

Typically, I notice when a smaller egg shows up, sometimes with a bit of blood. It can be harder to tell if you have all brown egg layers or most eggs look similar in size and shape.
You can look at their vents to tell if one is a layer. Vents that are dry and closed looking are nonlayers. Layers will have moist vents.
yea i’ve been getting a few smaller eggs recently but not super small which is why i’m suspicious, i’ll try the vent method tho

Back
Top Bottom