How to winterize my run??

hlroudeb

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
I just got 2 sister's 6 weeks ago. They are now 4 months old. Since I'v never had chickens before, I wanted to start with something simple. They are free ranging during the day, but I put them to bed to keep the critters from them at night.

This is really working for all of us right now, and I don't have the time or possible skills to build a coop before winter.

I'm using pine shavings in the house and on the ground... which is working very well to my surprise. The back also has a door I can slide the house out for cleaning.

What do you suggest I do to winterize this run for Indiana winters.

(I have bought a nice tarp to inclose most of it)

Heather

16523_dsc_1107_4_1_1.jpg

16523_dsc_1103_1_3_1.jpg

You could surround it with hay bales. That little coop would get really cold really fast otherwise, especially if it were exposed to wind.

Oh gosh, you're going to need more than that in your winters! They'll be stuck in the plastic house and buried in snow. Could you build onto the side of the building shown in the pic? You'll need part of a shed or outbuilding for them. You need to get to them, and you need to keep the water from freezing. Two birds will not produce a lot of heat. There have been several threads on this below yours, check them out! Lovely birds, look like mine. Heh.
wink.png

Last edited:
Since they are in small area, can you put the whole set up in the shed or the garage for the winter?

Back
Top Bottom