How would I know if this hen is laying eggs??

HenMomma7650

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2021
IMG_1080.jpeg

This hen(I assume Swedish duck…?) is one I got may 8th with 2 others who turned out to be maes. Lately they’ve reached sexual maturity since I’ve seen both of them mounting her multiple times. But I’ve done glances around the yard and coop and I haven’t seen any eggs larger than usual or anything blue tinted. We do have the ducks and chickens sharing a coop but the chickens are bantams so their eggs are decently small medium maybe. This is my first time having ducks so are the eggs just very small and maybe the blue tint is hard to notice without the certain light? Perhaps I’m just getting impatient since I’ve been waiting so long for ducks eggs but now I’m really stumped:

For the health and safety of your duck, if you have two drakes you really need to get more females.
Oh yes definitely I had 8 ducks originally but there’s only 1 hen (the one mentioned) and we’ve been killing them every week or so for dinner. We are down to 5 ducks now but most if not all should be gone by thanksgiving :celebrate

Five months old is pretty normal to start laying. But, some are earlier and some later. Some, do not start if the days are shortening and instead wait until spring or late winter.
First eggs are usually smaller like chicken eggs. My Swedish lays white eggs. So, maybe some of the eggs you think are chicken are duck eggs. 🤷‍♀️

Five months old is pretty normal to start laying. But, some are earlier and some later. Some, do not start if the days are shortening and instead wait until spring or late winter.
First eggs are usually smaller like chicken eggs. My Swedish lays white eggs. So, maybe some of the eggs you think are chicken are duck eggs. 🤷‍♀️
Ohhh alright it has just started to get cold not freezing but getting there. Do you think if we put a red light in the coop she’ll be more likely to lay eggs like my chicken hens?

Back
Top Bottom