Huge snake ate an egg in nest box, now the girls won't lay there!

valentinebaby

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Sherman-Denison, TX
A few days ago, i lifted the nest box to find a 5' to 6' snake coiled up in one of my nest boxes and it had just supped on one of the eggs. Thinking it was a water moccasin (we have lots of those here!), I had my husband deal with it. I should have known that something was up since 3 of my chickens were in the coop (I leave the front door open while they're free ranging) talking up a storm.

Now, they won't lay in either of the boxes and have found a new spot outside under the barbecue! Other than adding my fake eggs back to the nest box - any ideas on how to deal with this? Thanks!

Gail

Are the boxes screwed/nailed in place? If not, could you try putting them in a different location in the coop?

I wouldn't want to lay there, either, would you?!
sickbyc.gif

No, it's a permanent part of the coop - you can see it on my BYC page. I'm thinking they just got freaked that a stranger was in their "space". I'll probably have to leave them in their run at one point this weekend and will put one of my fake eggs in the box and see if the confinement gets them back into the safety mode.

Back
Top Bottom