Humidity by egg weight

angidee

Songster
9 Years
Feb 26, 2010
Washington
Testing for humidity...
I am brand new at this. I am hatching my first eggs in a new Brinsea Eco 20 incubator.
I ran all over town to purchase several different thermometers and humidity readers, because none agreed with eachother. I finally opted to trust the glass thermometer in the Brinsea and use a digital for the humidity. However, I weighed several eggs and marked them when I put them in. I am 2 days into the incubation and, while the digital humidity reader says I am between 40-45% humidity, my weights showed I have only lost an average of 2% weight.
Just to be sure I am doing this right, before I totally scrap the digital thing...
I take the weight lost and divide it by the previous weight to get the percentage weight lost, correct? (for example original weight 1.85oz, today's weight 1.75oz so .1/1.85oz=5%)

While, I am happy to gauge humidity by weight...I am nervous to have the wrong humidity for a few days between weight checks.

What do you do???

I wouldn't check weight loss everyday because it's more of an overall type of gauge. Maybe check 6 days in, and 10 days in. Some people also weigh their eggs as a group, so they weigh the whole clutch at one time. Of course then you have to account for clear eggs, quitters, etc.
smile.png

Is it an issue if the humidity is incorrect for that many days or is it few enough days to not effect greatly?

Quote:
It shouldn't be an issue. You can correct the humidity as you go. Temperature is an issue and it needs to remain constant throughout the incubation period, but you have some leeway with humidity.

I just hatched 8 out of 10 eggs with no humidity gauge... I wouldnt stress about it. As long as you add a bit of water now and then for the beggining, and a little bit more once you lock down things should be ok.

6 days in and I still seem to be loosing only 5% on average front the starting weight.
is it possible that outside/room humidity is impacting it? My gauge says its about 53% for the room the incubator is in. If I need to adjust for it, how do I do that (ie open vent, close vent)

Thanks for any suggestions

Back
Top Bottom