Hungry hungry hen!

Sneakychook

Chirping
Oct 24, 2022
I have a hen a few years older than the rest of my flock called Bumble bee. She lost her flock mates in a fox attack about 4-5 mouths back. I kept her in her coop/run after that, no more free ranging for a while. In spring I raised some new chicks with the plan to introduce Bumble to a new flock once the chicks were old enough. They have been living together for a while now and don't seem to have to many issues. However my old hen seems to have developed a bad habit, I'm not sure it it's because of boredom or stress but she won't stop eating! She's getting fat and keeps all the other chooks off the feed. I ended up placing food in different places around the coop but all she does is finish one feeder then move to the next... I'm a bit worried about her and concerned the other chooks haven't been getting enough feed. I dont really want to lock her out all on her own again, has anyone had a similar problem and maybe some ideas on how to manage this issue?

Maybe only feed once a day? It could be territorial. Your average bird should only eat 3-4 oz of food a day.
What type of feed is it?
Premium poultry mix mostly, I give them a variety of things to pick at a couple times a week and no matter what it is she hogs it to herself.

Last edited:
What exactly is this.....pellets, crumble, cracked grains??
What are the protein and calcium percentages?
20230115_133024.jpg
20230115_131126.jpg

I'm not sure of percentages as it doesn't say on the bags.

I'm not sure of percentages as it doesn't say on the bags.
If you're in the USA it should have a tag attached that gives the nutrient percentages.
What's the brand/model?

Cracked grain feeds are best utilized when wetted or fermented so they get the fines that contain the minerals/vitamins/amino acids.

Back
Top Bottom