Hurricane and heat packs ♡

RyGrowsWild

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2022
I'm happy to report that my second post is a happier one than my first! After a heartbreak with some shipped eggs, I had a great hatch and now 8 lovely little chicks are in my brooder - a Rubbermaid bin with a brooder hut inside of it as shown in the photo.
I'm in the maritimes and we're preparing for hurricane Fiona to hit tomorrow night - I've got a box of boot and glove warmer packs (the air activated kind) to keep the chicks warm in a power outage but I'm wondering if I should place those packs inside this brooder hut, or move the chicks into a smaller box with them?
Would love to hear how others have used heat packs to brood chicks in an emergency :)

Attachments

• 20220919_115008.jpg
    20220919_115008.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 5
Congratulations on your chicks!

Looks like the hut takes of a lot of space in the tote. I wouldn't put them in a smaller area, they need room to move about, get away from heat and eat/drink.

The heat packs do warm up nicely, so make sure you cover them with something like a soft cloth or small towel. Monitor that the chicks are not getting too hot.

Also, see that they have plenty of ventilation and air flow in the hut. The heat packs rely on oxygen to activate and heat up.

I hope all goes well, everyone is safe during the storm and it will all pass quickly.

Back
Top Bottom