hurricane season preperations

Painter_Jane

In the Brooder
May 23, 2020
Currituck, NC
Hello all! Hurricane season is coming next month here on the NC/VA border. I'm wondering how you guys protect your flock? This will be my first time having chickens this time of year. My coop and run can withstand the wind. Their coop and connected small run are covered but my larger run eclosure is not covered. Do you guys cover the sides of your run with a tarp or anything to protect from the wind-driven rain? Do you chickens just stay inside their coop? How should I prepare for this stuff other than tying down the things that can blow around? Also, I have open feeders. should I leave them in the run or move them into the coop so they don't get wet? Here's a photo of my set up... You can see where I have a coop run combo inside of a larger run. Hurricanes can sometimes last a few days here. the ground becomes very soggy and will gather a few inches of water sometimes. inside their coop/run combo the ground is built up from deep litter method. my other option is to put chicken diapers on them after bathing them and bring them indoors lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0417.jpeg
    IMG_0417.jpeg
    741.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0426.jpeg
    IMG_0426.jpeg
    818.2 KB · Views: 5
My coop and run is on wheels, it it’s going to be a TS the coop might get some wood screwed over the vents to keep water out. If it’s a hurricane both me and coop are headed to high ground and the coop will be in a garage/barn above the flood level.

Back
Top Bottom