Hurt guinea attacked and killed by other guineas. Why?

That's sad. I'm sorry. The reality is he was probably flipping and flapping around. It's natural instinct because a wounded bird jittering around can attract predators quickly. So the flock usually "offs" them. This is what I have experienced every time. They will keep them on the fringes of the flock but if there is an issue(ie can't move as well as usual, gets caught in something or stuck somewhere) they will attack. I actual just lost a female that we called Auti. She was hatched by one of our other hens, not incubated. She has issues from the very beginning but was so sweet that I decided to raise her. She was partially blind and deaf and didn't eat right. She lived for about two and half years, a good life. I had to hand feed her several times a day but she was a snuggle bug and it was worth it. Fortunately for her, she was our Royal Palm Turkey's gal and he protected her. She always came running for love and food LOL so I know how it sucks to lose them. In other instances what I have done is have a cage next to the main cage for these types of Guineas. Alot of times it's an extension of the main cage with just chicken wire between. That way they stay in the flock so to speak but are safer when penned up. Mine free range all day and go in at night. My Guineas are trained to come to call and are rewarded with mealworms so it makes it a lot easier to monitor situations and intervene when they are free ranging. Whether it be them fighting amongst themselves or predators. Guineas are.rewarding many ways and can be very affectionate if you put the time in with them. Hope this helps.
This helps a lot. Thank you. Now I have a plan for next time! I love having guineas!

Back
Top Bottom