I’m confused what to be feeding layer chicks 10 weeks old. I feed DuMor chick grower and it says it is good up to 18 weeks of age for layers.

Sonyawells

Hatching
May 12, 2022
I feed DuMor chick grower to 10 week old layer chicks. It can be fed up to 18 wks of age. I have given some vegetation as treats so bought very fine grit. They aren’t in out for run yet just in coop. Also, I’ve read I should give them diatomaceous earth but don’t know anything about that. Please, any advice is much appreciated. Thank you

I feed DuMor chick grower to 10 week old layer chicks. It can be fed up to 18 wks of age. I have given some vegetation as treats so bought very fine grit. They aren’t in out for run yet just in coop. Also, I’ve read I should give them diatomaceous earth but don’t know anything about that. Please, any advice is much appreciated. Thank you

The chick grower is fine.
At that age, adult-sized grit is probably the right size, instead of fine grit.
Small amounts of vegetation for treats are fine. (Not required, but not harmful either.)

They do not need diatomaceous earth.

It is actually fine to feed chick grower through their entire life. Just provide a source of calcium, like a dish of oyster shell, when they get close to laying age, and keep it available from that point on. (Laying hens need much more calcium than growing chicks. Layer feed provides it, but a dish of oyster shell can provide it just as well.)

I feed grower until they start laying, not number of weeks.
This is the approach I plan on following as well. I'll start giving them oyster shells as they get close to the 6 month mark (likely in November) and have layer feed on-hand for the switch when I see the first few eggs.

Do you have to transition food like you do with other animals (ie: dogs) or can you just do it cold turkey with chickens (no pun intended)?

This is the approach I plan on following as well. I'll start giving them oyster shells as they get close to the 6 month mark (likely in November) and have layer feed on-hand for the switch when I see the first few eggs.

Do you have to transition food like you do with other animals (ie: dogs) or can you just do it cold turkey with chickens (no pun intended)?

Chicken foods are usually similar enough that you can switch cold turkey without causing trouble, but gradually is also fine. If the new food is at all different, the chickens may need a few days to get used to it-- that is a point in favor of a gradual transition, or just put out two feeders for a few days so they can try it at their leisure before the old feed runs out.

The only special thing about layer feed is the amount of calcium. As long as they have a good source of calcium (like free-choice oyster shells), your pullets can be fine on starter or grower feed as long as you like.

I would not bother keeping layer feed "on hand" before you see eggs.

Instead, I would keep oyster shell available to them, and keep feeding the same feed until that feed is almost gone. If you want to use layer feed after that, just buy it the next time you need feed, and switch them either gradually or abruptly depending on how much is left of the old feed when you get the layer.

Back
Top Bottom