I’ve got a bully!

MeredithLindsay

In the Brooder
Dec 25, 2020
Backstory: I recently rehomed part of my flock. The second to top hen was in the group that was rehomed. This let me with 3 hens and 8 pullets. 4 pullets are in a brooder, only a few weeks old. The other 4 are with my silkie hen. She’s raising them for me. Of the 3 hens one is the silkie mommy hen, the other two were raised by her as well about a year ago.

Since rehoming the first group the pecking order has been completely upset. I did not consider this when I did the rehoming. Historically the tiny silkie was at the top followed by one that was rehomed. Because the tiny silkie was broody for weeks and then raising chicks while I rehomed everything was upset. She lost her spot and one of the hens we kept is at the top now. No problem…except she’s MEAN. Every morning she tries to fight the roo. He wins she walks away. Then she goes for the 4 pullets being raised by the silkie. MAJOR PROBLEM. She is way bigger than they are and could seriously injure them or the silkie who is with them.
I understand what she’s doing. She’s letting everyone know she’s the boss now that the others are gone, but like we get it! You’re the boss. Leave everyone alone!
They don’t share a coop but do have an adjoining run so in the morning she will seek out the young chicks and peck them and jump on/at them. When free ranging they do their best to stay away from her but is she catches a glimpse of them she lunges for them.
A few things to consider. The coop is plenty big. They don’t share sleep space. The run is also large and most of the day they’re out in the yard. There is no sickness. This is a pecking order issue.
The only other factor is the coop. Bully wants to sleep in the chick coop. That’s where she was raised and that’s her home. She has learned she has a new home in the bigger coop now but she still misses her old home. (Can chickens miss things? Idk. Every once in a while I find her trying to go in the old coop but that’s where the silkie raises chicks so I obviously can’t trust bully in there.)
I put bully in a tractor most mornings but once we’re in the scorching heat I let her out to find dirt to cool off in. It’s also hard to constantly drag the tractor around changing shade all day. I’ve got things to do ya know? So she’s in jail half the day. No improvement though.

What do I do?? Should she sleep in jail? Is jail a 24 hr/day situation? I don’t want to rehome her ( I kinda do but she’s my daughter’s favorite) but she’s so mean and I’m also scared about what she’ll do when we introduce the other 4 baby chicks to the flock in a month or so.

Help!

How long ago did the re-homing take place? I think that restructuring of the pecking order can take a few weeks or so, especially when it is a complete overhaul like you are experiencing. I would make sure to supervise when you add in the new pullets for awhile.

Is she pecking them to harm/draw blood, or just naming her place in the flock?

How long ago did the re-homing take place? I think that restructuring of the pecking order can take a few weeks or so, especially when it is a complete overhaul like you are experiencing. I would make sure to supervise when you add in the new pullets for awhile.

Is she pecking them to harm/draw blood, or just naming her place in the flock?
It’s been about 3 weeks and yes it def was an overhaul.
It really seems she’s trying to hurt them. When the #2 hen would show her place she’d puff her hackles and chase the others but not hurt them. This seems much more serious. When the young ones are hiding or minding their business she will still come after them so it looks more offensive than just reactive if that makes sense.

I think the recommendation from some on here for separating out a bully is removing them for a few days, it seems to make them reset somehow. If that doesn't work, then she might need to be rehomed or if there is a way to separate out the runs, that might be an option to consider if you have the room and want to make that change.

Can you please post pictures of your setup?
This shows the bully in the tractor in the middle of the yard and a pic of coop set up in other pic. You can see two coops (green and pink) with extensive runs and a small tunnel to connect.

Attachments

• 0192249D-AA76-4095-A3D7-15AC0F24EDD7.jpeg
    0192249D-AA76-4095-A3D7-15AC0F24EDD7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • E58B3513-F58B-47E5-9E82-CE51231D1E9E.jpeg
    E58B3513-F58B-47E5-9E82-CE51231D1E9E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
I think the recommendation from some on here for separating out a bully is removing them for a few days, it seems to make them reset somehow. If that doesn't work, then she might need to be rehomed or if there is a way to separate out the runs, that might be an option to consider if you have the room and want to make that change.
Runs are separate and we’ve blocked the tunnel so they cannot get through when we’re home not but it happens while out in the yard too.

the pullets are young and if not laying yet WILL get picked on by the older hens - irregardless of your particular set up. Sometimes one hen is more aggressive than usual though.

No blood shed?

We had a particularly hard integration a couple years ago, and several hens that just would not leave the integrating chicks alone. They would practically hunt them down, like they might an insect. The pullets were 6-8 weeks old. We ended up erecting roosts throughout the run bc a whole lot less problems that way. Also, make sure you have at least 2 feed and water stations.

If she continues this intense behavior, then you can separate 24/7 for a good length of time, or simply rehome her. But, chickens have a pecking order, which she firmly believes in bc she’s seizing the top spot.

the pullets are young and if not laying yet WILL get picked on by the older hens - irregardless of your particular set up. Sometimes one hen is more aggressive than usual though.

No blood shed?

We had a particularly hard integration a couple years ago, and several hens that just would not leave the integrating chicks alone. They would practically hunt them down, like they might an insect. The pullets were 6-8 weeks old. We ended up erecting roosts throughout the run bc a whole lot less problems that way. Also, make sure you have at least 2 feed and water stations.

If she continues this intense behavior, then you can separate 24/7 for a good length of time, or simply rehome her. But, chickens have a pecking order, which she firmly believes in bc she’s seizing the top spot.
This is helpful. Each run does have its own water and feed station. I do think I’ll try a few days of 24/7 separation and see if that helps. When the silkie was on top she’d be mean but she’s so tiny it was more comical than anything. This, not so much.
No blood yet!

Back
Top Bottom