I accidentally on purpose trained my ducks perfectly.

I made a really fun discovery today and I want to share it with anyone who may be raising ducklings currently (and maybe chickens).

I am a first time duck mom and I did lots of research before getting my babies. Once I did I found that frozen peas and carrots were a fairly cheap and healthy treat option for my sweet ones.
I decided early on that I wanted to train my ducks to come when I called.
Once they were 2 or 2 and a half weeks old I began pairing my whistle to a small handful of peas and carrots. Every day I would whistle and give the treat. They learned very fast that my whistle meant treats. As they got older I ventured into new treats but always would whistle. They always came running. It was clear that Peas and carrots were their favorite.

Once outside in their pen they will run to my hand for trests when I Whistle but if I let them out to range a bit (something they only get to do when I can supervise them) they decided bugs and grubs were the best and although they would look when I whistle they stopped running to me. Meaning I would need to herd them.

I hadn't given them peas and carrots in a while but I always stock up when they are on sale so I pulled the bag out today for give them something special and to test my theory that they may respond better to the pecans and carrots than anything else.
One they saw the bag (I always got the same brand) they freaked out! They even followed my boyfriend all over the yard as he shook the bag!

Now they came running to me and followed me (even if i wasn't the one with the bag) and I was able to get them back into their pen easily.

My advice then is to train your babies similarly pick one special treat to start them on early this will end up being their most favorite (hopefully otherwise theres just something special about a bag of frozen peas and carrots) and pair it with a call, clapping, or a whistle. You can then use this special treat to call in your babies when they are being brats and dont want to come in at night.

How do you wrangle your ducks in at night?
I whistle also, I have 13 ducklings with mama, I have a few hens and about 3 Drake's that are mine and about 8 more Drake's that live in the neighborhood that I try to help. They are all muscovys and I live in Florida. I whistle like the ducklings do when they get scared or can't find mama and they started running to me whistling back to me lol and now the older ones all come running too. I just love my feathered children don't know what id do without them

Last edited:
I whistle also, I have 13 ducklings with mama, I have a few hens and about 3 Drake's that are mine and about 8 more Drake's that live in the neighborhood that I try to help. They are all muscovys and I live in Florida. I whistle like the ducklings do when they get scared or can't find mama and they started running to me whistling back to me lol and now the older ones all come running too. I just love my feathered children don't know what id do without them
Very sweet:love

Back
Top Bottom