I broke my wrist

I'm also 52 and also broke my wrist on my dominant hand. I know what you mean about having to learn to do things with your opposite hand.
Here's something I wish someone had told me (like the doctor....?!): Keep moving your shoulder! I was about 4 weeks into PT when I asked my therapist about my shoulder. He looked at me with a very surprised look and said, "Didn't Dr. B_____ tell you to keep moving that as much as you could? Ok, we will work on that too."

Here's something I wish someone had told me (like the doctor....?!): Keep moving your shoulder! I was about 4 weeks into PT when I asked my therapist about my shoulder. He looked at me with a very surprised look and said, "Didn't Dr. B_____ tell you to keep moving that as much as you could? Ok, we will work on that too."
Why didn't the PT tell you that?

I had my thumb/wrist joint rebuilt, non-dominant thankfully.
Pins in for 2 months, took another 18 months for my hand and forearm muscles to come back.
Had a great PT tho.

Why didn't the PT tell you that?
I think he thought I knew to keep it moving, or that I was moving it.

My arm was in a sling for a couple weeks, and I tried not to jostle anything because it hurt. Then when I got the cast, I worked very gently to be able to straighten my arm. Never thinking of my shoulder.

I was in the cast for 6 weeks, got that off, got a brace, and started PT. It wasn't until I realized I could not turn the overhead light on in my car (nearly 3 months after the break) that I realized my shoulder had seized up.

Since I couldn't do anything with my hand, I had no reason to be reaching above my head.
🤦‍♀️

The PT guy was a nice guy. Had a lot of interesting conversations with him. The doctor was an @$$hole. I should have filed complaints about him.

Back
Top Bottom