I can’t keep my rooster in the yard

I finally rehomed mine. I bribed the buyer with a hen.
I had to camp out for a day to see where mine were getting over the fence. Now I have tomato cages wired to the fence above the horse trough. Classy, right? They were getting on the edge of the trough which gave them just enough boost to hop to the top of the fence, they would kick off the edge of the chain link and go over..

Hi, Polish
I have the same problem! I have a 4x6 ft. coop and a large (say 15' x 20' fenced run for two hens, one female duck and a rooster who was a nice pullet until s/he grew some really big tail feathers and developed a cock's crow. The fence is rather loose wire -- by that I mean it is not drawn tight and is left a little wobbly, so the birds avoid it -- they cannot trust it to roost on. However there are two wooden slate gates, and these are the escape routes. When I wired up the slats at the bottom, they discovered they could fly over. When I raised that top with more wire, they found another way -- haven't quite determined what that is yet. I tried clipping the wings of the rooster. He still gets out.

I have a double yard, and I want them to forage, but now they get out in the street and visit a neighbor down the road a couple of houses who also has hens. My roo thinks they're his! Now they've had to build up their fence! Not cool. Also on the way there, he brings the two hens AND THE DUCK with him, eating another neighbor's grass seed on the way. Not cool. Furthermore the traffic though here (a 25 mph zone) looks more like 50 most of the time ... I fear their immanent demise! I can't afford more fencing, and I'm too old to fix the set-up myself, so would have to hire help as well. So sweet Luci cum Lucifer is looking pretty tasty right now.
Wow. Luckily my rooster has
I finally rehomed mine. I bribed the buyer with a hen.
I had to camp out for a day to see where mine were getting over the fence. Now I have tomato cages wired to the fence above the horse trough. Classy, right? They were getting on the edge of the trough which gave them just enough boost to hop to the top of the fence, they would kick off the edge of the chain link and go over..
wow that’s is ridiculous haha

Back
Top Bottom