I definitely want to do turkeys next year!!!!

Go with a heritage breed if you want a giant chicken looking turkey.

Go with a broad breasted or a broad breasted cross if you want a full deep round chest for a show piece turkey centerpiece.

I did bourbon reds last year.

I did standard and broad breasted bronzes this year.

Next year will be naragansettes.

So far the bronzes taste much better than the bourbon reds.

my son wants to get a couple next year. Probably eastern turkeys. The only thing that I find intimidating is that Ive read several times how delicate they are also kind of dumb and you should buy extra chicks. I like the idea because they dont need a real fancy house but they will need a large covered run and I told him, I built my coop all by myself I wont build a turkey coop for him.

Quote:
Young turkeys need a higher protein feed than chickens up to about 6 months of age after that ours forage and eat the same feed as chickens. And on the raising them together with chickens there are 2 schools of thought, some people say you can't because because of blackhead and yes it is true that chickens can carry it and pass it to turkeys, also wild birds can pass it. If you ask somebody that says don't do it and put them on the spot with "did you have a problem with your birds" about 90% of the time the answer you get is "I read it or I heard it on a forum somewhere" We have been raising turkeys for many years and never had any problems. Ours are raised with chickens, ducks, geese, guineas, and peafowl. It's one of those things to do some research, ask local breeders and do what works for you.

Steve in NC

Quote:
There quite a few different types of feed, turkey grower is designed for older turkeys. Like chick starter, chick start and grow, chicken grow and finish, chicken layer etc etc. Each has a different protien content, calcium levels, vitamins.

We raise heritage breed turkeys and they are raised and feed very differently the the broadbreasted types.

Steve in NC

Back
Top Bottom