I feel like a cold-blooded murderer! Need some support.

So sorry, you had to go through, what you have, however please never ever blame
yourself. You tried your best, for her. All your replies have also agreed, you done the
right thing. What you done took guts, so please please, never call yourself a murderer.
You stopped her suffering any longer, and i believe a lot will agree, she is no longer in
pain. So do not feel guilty, because you are not. Within a few days, your pain with it
all, will ease too. It was a brave decision, we all understand how hard it was for you.
But we know you done the right thing, just shows the love you had for her, and you
found the strength, to us that is true love. :love

Wow. THAT is dedication. You did everything you could to make her comfortable, and when that didn't work, you tried again. When you exhausted every possible avenue (and then some), you decided to end her suffering. As many times as she kicked out of that sling, it's almost like she was trying to tell you that it was time.

I know I would want to do the same if one of my hens was suffering that much. I only hope I have the same courage when I am faced with that decision.

Thank you so much for your kind words.

So sorry, you had to go through, what you have, however please never ever blame
yourself. You tried your best, for her. All your replies have also agreed, you done the
right thing. What you done took guts, so please please, never call yourself a murderer.
You stopped her suffering any longer, and i believe a lot will agree, she is no longer in
pain. So do not feel guilty, because you are not. Within a few days, your pain with it
all, will ease too. It was a brave decision, we all understand how hard it was for you.
But we know you done the right thing, just shows the love you had for her, and you
found the strength, to us that is true love. :love

Thank you!

:hugs Unfortunately, part of chicken keeping means being able to make the decision when you realize that a sick or injured bird is suffering with no good prospect for recovery. It's far kinder to end it immediately when you reach that point, instead of letting the bird languish.

The last time I had to do it, one of my hens was attacked by a hawk. I chased off the hawk but the chicken was mortally wounded, though still very much alive. Not wanting to wait an hour for my husband to get home since that would be an extra hour of suffering, I snapped her neck with a branch pruner. I felt terrible for days but I knew I did the right thing.

:hugsI can honestly say I know how you feel. It's kind of a "painful relief" in a way.

Back
Top Bottom