I found a green duck egg that had just been laid and left, what should I do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyTK2

Hatching
Apr 14, 2024
Hello, my name is Jeremy. I came to this forum because I wanted to ask for some advice on something:

I just (like 20 minutes ago) found a green duck egg. It was on the shore of Lake Huron. Based on the duck foot prints next to it, it had been laid no more than an hour before I found it. It was 70 degrees when it was laid and not in the cold water so if it is fertilized, it would not have died already. I think the duck was on her way to or from her nest and laid another egg that she had to leave there.

What should I do with it? I live in SE Michigan (Port Huron area). Is there anyone who would want it (to hatch, not eat). I really feel like I have a responsibility for the egg if it is going to hatch. Should I go get an incubator? It's really not something I would have wanted to do before I found the egg but I will if that is it's only chance. And what would I do with it if it did hatch?

I guess I should make sure it is fertilized at this point. I looked up some videos but they were using equipment I do not have. What is the easiest way to check that if you have no experience doing it?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might help. I realize this is info I could get searching these sites but I was kinda hoping I could find someone to walk me through this.

I'd contact a local animal rescue if you can find one and talk to them. Or maybe a game warden. What you did was probably illegal but they are usually understanding if what you did was out of ignorance and not willful.

Or put it back where it was. Let nature take its course. We generally do more harm than good when we interfere.

Putting it back would mean putting it right here. It won't even be someone else's lunch as nothing that eats eggs is going on that peninsula type area.
Can someone at least tell me the best way to amateur check if it is fertilized so I can be sure I should get rid of it?

Attachments

• IMG_7412.jpg
    IMG_7412.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7413.jpg
    IMG_7413.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 4
Putting it back would mean putting it right here. It won't even be someone else's lunch as nothing that eats eggs is going on that peninsula type area.
Can someone at least tell me the best way to amateur check if it is fertilized so I can be sure I should get rid of it?
It doesn’t matter if it is fertilized or not. It is illegal to keep it. The only way to check if it is fertilized is to either crack it open and look for a bullseye or to start incubating it, both of which would be illegal. Either put it back where you found it or call a wildlife rehabber to see if they can take it.

Nature is not fair.
Wildlife thankfully does not know what 'fair' means.
Put the egg back and let nature take its course. MHO

Migratory Bird Treaty Act

A reminder...

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act prohibits the taking, killing, capturing, transporting, harboring of the birds or hatching eggs, that which are Native to the United States of America. All are protected by state and federal agencies.

https://www.fws.gov/law/migratory-bird-treaty-act-1918

Any threads started on this subject will be closed and/or posts deleted.

Thank you for your understanding.

-BYC Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom