I had no idea how much loosing chickens would hurt. I need help

The homeowner also dog owner will reimburse us for the cost of the electric fence, because it will keep the chickens safe, but also our pets, child, and guests. Although I know there is a huge difference from small critters and children I don't trust those dogs, and want to know that my child can play without worrying that they can come in. I don't think he would be as quick to pay for a chicken run that leaves all of the other liability. The coop with attached run will be build asap. There are currently the two coops that are too small for all day confinement, but plenty of space for them to be safe at night or for short periods of time.

Our yard is surrounded by chain link on 1.5 sides, and the other 2.5 are what i think I've read was called welded wire fence attached to wood posts. I have been reading a lot about how to install and read the great thread that Howard E started and Bobbi-j recommended. thanks guys.

Here is the perimeter, and the existing fence around our yard. My plan is to order the electric fence and get it installed around the bottom and at nose level around the outside of the perimeter.

This is the gate and some of the chain link fence. The falling branches from the royal palms will cause a problem, but by clearing the vines and dead branches away from the spiky trees will put the wire where i want it and the smaller palms will provide some protection from the giant falling palm branches.below is a more complete view of that part of the yard. That's Lizzie the lizard eatin pup that showed up.

This is the beginning of what I'm clearing.

along the north side of the property there is chain link fence, and crop fields
The branches have really demolished the wire in some places, and with the raised ground the palms are on and the branches there is almost a little ramp. We remove these regularly, but they were left for the picture.

Sissy the vicious licking dog. She's an awesome family dog, but new to this chicken thing too.

The other side of the gate, and where the guard dogs loved to hang out prior to our convincing them that even if it was their yard they weren't allowed to nap there anymore
wink.png
Did I mention I turned into a crazy chicken lady with a rake? LOL

I will post my plan for the fence and coop as I get them for feedback. The chickens are not being left out if we are not here, and I run out like a crazy person (once half dressed) at first peep. Not the best for my sanity, but they will be safe, and soon all of my creatures will be safe.

Gratefully,
Wendy

Wow! You have a lot of work ahead of you, don't you? It's good that the homeowner/dog owner is willing to help with the cost of electric. I agree, it's mostly to cover his butt from liability, but at least he recognizes that there is the potential for problems. Some dog owners will deny from sunup to sundown that their precious Fido could ever harm a living thing even when Fido has the chicken in his mouth. (I know, these are guard dogs, but you never know what goes through peoples' minds. And the dogs - who knows what or whom they may decide to "guard".) Anyway, I'm glad you're formulating plans. I can tell you care about your chickens.

Setup sweet. Some of what you are planning to clear I would let stand as cover keeping birds away from perimeter fencing you will have.

The palms are on the outside of the fence where I plan to run the wire. There was a giant vine plant that once upon a time had been supported by a trellis, but since then had grown to be 5+ foot taller than the 5ft fence. I plan on leaving the small palms, but clearing out the dead branches and the ones that hang low. the wire would stand far enough off the chain link not to interfere with it, be at nose height for the guard dogs, and a little further from the noses of our critters. I'm going to see if he will either have the guys that work for him run the wire and install the insulators on his side of the fence so it would have the maximum effect on the problem and be away from my daughter.

We are very lucky to rent from this guy. He seems to be a genuinely good human. He has been very reasonable with anything we've asked, and is a parent that really likes kids, so that my lil ones favorite chick was killed by his dog they day after he was talking to her about them upset him. Her telling him a few days later "Farmer Troy I like you, and I like our new house, but I don't like when your guard dogs dieded robin" looked like it really hurt him. So I'm sure the legality plays some role, but thankfully humanity is at play too. It's almost down to 80 degrees, I'm thinking of doing yard work by headlights... My bf might have something reasonable to say that talks me out of it though.

Setup sweet. Some of what you are planning to clear I would let stand as cover keeping birds away from perimeter fencing you will have.

The palms are on the outside of the fence where I plan to run the wire. There was a giant vine plant that once upon a time had been supported by a trellis, but since then had grown to be 5+ foot taller than the 5ft fence. I plan on leaving the small palms, but clearing out the dead branches and the ones that hang low. the wire would stand far enough off the chain link not to interfere with it, be at nose height for the guard dogs, and a little further from the noses of our critters. I'm going to see if he will either have the guys that work for him run the wire and install the insulators on his side of the fence so it would have the maximum effect on the problem and be away from my daughter.

We are very lucky to rent from this guy. He seems to be a genuinely good human. He has been very reasonable with anything we've asked, and is a parent that really likes kids, so that my lil ones favorite chick was killed by his dog they day after he was talking to her about them upset him. Her telling him a few days later "Farmer Troy I like you, and I like our new house, but I don't like when your guard dogs dieded robin" looked like it really hurt him. So I'm sure the legality plays some role, but thankfully humanity is at play too. It's almost down to 80 degrees, I'm thinking of doing yard work by headlights... My bf might have something reasonable to say that talks me out of it though.

The half dressed crazy person comment made me smile. It reminded me a time when one of the common barnyard scenes, as depicted in cartoons, was that of a farmer dressed in a nightgown......it was always a nightgown.......like farmers would wear a nightgown......but in a nightgown.......sometimes with boots or likely as not barefoot.......going out at night to check on the noise in the hen house.........and he would have a double barrel shotgun. Once upon a time, classic Americana which like all good humor is funny because there is an element of truth about it.

Not exactly this, but something like it.......

Maybe not so crazy after all?

Common enough that once upon a time they even wrote songs about it.

Asleep at the Wheel's modern era rendition of the old Louis Jordan hit.........."Ain't nobody here but us chickens........."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom