I have a baby chick who i think has a dislocated jaw, after the mom stepped on her

Bjwkarma

Songster
Nov 14, 2020
Does anyone know how to fix a dislocated jaw, the mom stepped on her and her beak isnt the same??? Does anyone know what to do???

Attachments

• 20240316_232227.jpg
    20240316_232227.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 36
I tried to post something about this earlier- but im not so great at navigating the forum yet- havent seen anything. Anyway- does anyone know of anything i can do? The top is to the right, the bottom left. I think it happened when she got stepped on. Any advice???
20240316_232227.jpg

I tried to post something about this earlier- but im not so great at navigating the forum yet- havent seen anything.

I asked one of the moderators to combine the two threads into one, so you only have one place to check. Just explaining so you aren't confused when one of them vanishes :)

I have only seen pictures and read about chicks with cross beak deformities. It tends to get worse as the chick grows up. It can help to keep an eye on the growth and if needed, trim and file the beak so that it comes together best as it can. Dog nail clippers can be used. Feeding crumbles throughout life, and also using tall sided bowls may help. Small amounts of feed can be moistened with water.

Feeding crumbles throughout life, and also using tall sided bowls may help. Small amounts of feed can be moistened with water.

For moistening feed with water: a crossbeak chicken may have trouble picking up small amounts, and it certainly will not be able to eat all the little bits at the edge of the bowl.

An easy way to avoid waste is to give the wet feed to the crossbeak for a few hours, then give what is left to the other chickens so they can eat it up (and give the crossbeak bird a fresh dish of wet feed.) This way none of the wet feed is allowed to sit around long enough to go bad, and none is wasted either.

Back
Top Bottom