I have no idea what to do with my Guineas, need experienced advice pls

THe first time I let mine out they all disappeared in the corn fields for a week before a few showed back up, then over a month they all came back minus one so then I locked up two in the barn and three in a pen. AFter two weeks, I let the the two out of the barn to range and the others in the pen would call to them. Every night they would come back to roost in the barn. Then I let one out of the pen to join them for a week. Then yesterday let the other two out to join them. They all came back to roost in the barn. SO i think I have them trained now.

Quote:
Bad Idea, a guinea will break its leg trying to get away, you also should not catch a guinea by its leg like you can a chicken again it will twist and fight till it breaks its own leg

Quote:
Mine not only go into the woods they come out the other side, about 40 feet, thick enough you can not see the house on the other side, but they go through under the brush and stuff, and scream at the neighbours, so he will feed them something.
gig.gif

Quote:
I think you got the wrong birds, guineas are seasonal layers, meaning you will only get eggs about 6 months of the year. Mine all free range with my chickens, they tend to stay as a group, but roost with the chickens indoors.

my guineas flew up to the top of a pine tree (and that thing was TALL) so we clipped there wings (like you would clip a parrots wings) and that solved the problem. a guinea will always return "home" or wherever they roost at night. also mine have never done the egg hiding thing... but mine are for pets so and i only had 4 so i don't know what you would be willing to do to make sure they "don't fly the coop" but anyway that is what i did and now i have stopped clipping and they act just like my chickens lol. i think my buff silkie has a crush on them because he follows them around everywhere lol lol lol

sorry, this probably didn't help you much did it?

We have ours in a tractor with the chickens. They are really bonded to those specific chickens-they don't like the others we have. They hang out with them when we let them out to free roam and pester us to get back into the tractor in the evening (if we leave the door open they are back inside before the chickens are, usually before the sun dips down).

They are crazy, skittish birds, but they like being able to get back to their roosts!

We have about 30 guineas. Ever since we let them out the brooder...they have followed one of my barred rock hens...(guessing they think shes their mother...idk) Anywhere she goes..they go. So when she goes to the coop at night...they all follow. They are now 3-4 months old and still do this.

Back
Top Bottom