I have two female guineas with my flock of chickens and want to add more chickens to it.

LillyAcresFarm

Chirping
Aug 13, 2020
Pipestem, Wv
I’ve raised my two guineas with my flock of chickens. Right now they are around 3 months old. They are very calm and gently with the chickens they were raised with. However I have four 5 week old chicks and a 8 week old turkey that stay in a smaller run until they are big enough to join the group. I let them out for about an hour to explore out in the open and immediately the guineas attacked the turkey and brought blood. They also chased the chicks. I also have a few ducklings but the guineas don’t mess with them at all.
How should I go about introducing the turkey and the chicks to the group without them being killed. What age should I start the introduction. I have the babies back inside their covered run now and it’s in the middle of the big lot that they all share so they can see them walking around in it.

I was trying to introduce keets to my guineas around the same time I was trying to introduce chicks to the chickens.

The guineas immediately took to the keets and accepted them. The 8 week old Jersey Giants (4 of them) got a few pecks and chased, and the chickens didn't welcome them either.

I ended up cooping the Giants with some other, younger Giants (and a couple buffs and mixes, 11 birds) for a few weeks, then let the combined mob loose last week. The older Jerseys are 12 weeks now, and the younger lot is 8 weeks. They segregate into their ages when loose, but neither group is hazed now. I'm thinking it's because the 4 older ones are bigger (almost the size of my adult chickens), and the younger ones have numbers.

So I would advise to wait until they're older and bigger.

Back
Top Bottom