I NEED HELP CHACHING THE CURRENT CHICKEN ORDINANCE (SOUTHFIELD MI)

ChickenLindsey

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 17, 2014
My current ordinance is as follows:

.62-B REQUIRED CONDITIONS
(Amended - Ordinance 1446 - 8/5/99)
(1) Animals, including fowl, other than pets shall be housed in accessory buildings. No
building or buildings shall be used or built for the housing of animals or fowl, other than
pets, on the front half of any lot nor nearer than one hundred and seventy-five (175') feet
(53.375 meters) to any adjoining dwelling nor nearer than fifty (50') feet (15.25 meters)
to the dwelling of the owner thereof and, provided further, that no animals which are or
shall be in any way noisy, obnoxious, unwholesome, destructive, dangerous, or offensive
shall be kept, harbored or housed in any section of the City.
(2) The owner shall not permit any animal or fowl owned by him or in his possession or
control, to run at large in any street, alley or public place, or upon the premises of another
without express permission of the owner or occupant thereof. (Amended -Ordinance
1229 - 4/6/87)
(3) It shall be the duty of the owner or person in possession or control of any animal or fowl,
other than such animals or fowl as are commonly housed in a human dwelling as
household pets, to provide, construct and maintain fencing devices reasonably designed
or adapted to effectively exclude such animal or fowl from the area within five (5') feet
(1.525 meters) of the property line of the owner of the animal or fowl. (Amended -
Ordinance 1229 - 4/6/87)

These rules make it essentially impossible for anyone within southfield city limits to posses or raise chickens due to the average lot size in the area. I am in the beginning stages of preparing to approach the city council but I have no idea what to do or what information i need in order to do this!! HELP!

For an additional reference I would like to adopt this cities current ordinance they are only about 2 miles away from Southfield and recently changed their ordinance for similar reasons.

basically states this info:

http://ferndalechickens.com/2012-current-ordinance/

Back
Top Bottom