I need help!

Silkie27

Chirping
Aug 22, 2021
my brown leghorn, Maxine, was found laying on top of 3 fake eggs (wood, used for inspiration) and all puffed up. she is the smallest, and we also found my other chicken, missing many feathers and hiding in a bush, they both were shaking and were getting puffed up and scared any time we walked by. Now for my sweet sweet girl Maxine, this is not normal, she is usually super sweet and also lets you pick her up, now i can’t even go near her and she can’t stand up. i am really worried please give me some advice! they are both alive still.

my brown leghorn, Maxine, was found laying on top of 3 fake eggs (wood, used for inspiration) and all puffed up. she is the smallest, and we also found my other chicken, missing many feathers and hiding in a bush, they both were shaking and were getting puffed up and scared any time we walked by. Now for my sweet sweet girl Maxine, this is not normal, she is usually super sweet and also lets you pick her up, now i can’t even go near her and she can’t stand up. i am really worried please give me some advice! they are both alive still.
Pictures would be nice! Im so sorry this happened, its natural when chickens are stressed for them to prefer to be left alone, so dont push it, but you should send some pictures and describe symptoms, wheres the feathers missing at? Are they bleeding? Etc. its possible a predator came by and injured them, you should try giving them some electrolytes if you can, and seperate them from the others to insure they dont peck more feathers out, and be sure to be patient With them.

Pictures would be nice! Im so sorry this happened, its natural when chickens are stressed for them to prefer to be left alone, so dont push it, but you should send some pictures and describe symptoms, wheres the feathers missing at? Are they bleeding? Etc.
i’m not sure if i could send any pictures, i don’t want to scare them more, plus we just locked them up for the night, but they are missing feathers on there back near their butt, and one of their combs is split and bleeding.

They sound broody.

They may pluck their breast feathers to line their nest - this is normal.

If it's their first time brooding and you intend to give them fertile eggs, wait at least a week to ensure they don't quit early.

If you're worried for their health, you could try 'breaking' them, but some bantams can be very committed brooders.

At the least, make sure they get off the next at least twice a day to stretch their legs, eat and dust bathe.
ah, i also found a bunch of feathers near the bush they were hiding in, i think they were attacked..

ah, i also found a bunch of feathers near the bush they were hiding in, i think they were attacked..
Oh no, okay, heres what i think you need to do,
1. Seperate them, i think they might get bullied by the others if theres blood.
2. give electrolytes like i said before, they always seem to help during things like this, just in giving more strength but it wont fix anything really.
3. Wash the comb with some warm *not hot!* just a little more then lukewarm, water.

maybe apply antibiotic cream around the area to?

sorry i couldnt help much. :(

Oh no, okay, heres what i think you need to do,
1. Seperate them, i think they might get bullied by the others if theres blood.
2. give electrolytes like i said before, they always seem to help during things like this, just in giving more strength but it wont fix anything really.
3. Wash the comb with some warm *not hot!* just a little more then lukewarm, water.

maybe apply antibiotic cream around the area to?

sorry i couldnt help much. :(
you’re fine, i’ll try this. thank you.

Back
Top Bottom