I need information!!

ducklover4ever

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2021
Hello,
I need help to convince my parents to let me get ducklings so I'm going to need information. I need to know all of the beginner's tips and what I will need to take care of them in winter, spring summer fall all the seasons. I live in a place where we get all seasons. and currently it is winter :)
Anyways, I was wondering if someone can give me a lot of information for beginners on raising ducklings, so I can fulfill my dream!
have a great day and happy holidays!!

I suggest you read through the duck section in articles to start with. Then you can search for additional questions here, there's likely already a thread (or multiple) on what you're wanting to know.

Some things you should know about ducks, is for one they are messy. Their water won't stay clean for more than a minute and they'll get it everywhere, making their run or brooder all messy. When building a run be sure than water can drain, otherwise it will turn into a swamp if its low.

Of course ducklings need a heat source, water deep enough to clean out their bills, and bedding they won't slip on (avoid news paper). It's best to brood them inside your house to keep them safe and warm, especially if you are wanting to bond with them a lot. So if you don't want noise (and they are loud!) and smells inside your home ducks might not be for you.

Once they're old enough to be moved outside, they'll need a large coop and run ready for them. They should have have least around 4 sqft per duck inside the coop (add extra space for future ducks), and 10sqft per duck inside the run. Bigger is always better though, because duck math does and will happen!
Avoid using chicken wire, everything can get through it but chickens and ducks. Hardware cloth, though more expensive, is a much better option and will keeps your duck alive and safe from predators. Be sure to predator proof by adding a "skirt" of hardware cloth around the run to prevent predators from digging under and in.

The coop should have plenty of ventilation, especially with how messy ducks are. Cut out multiple large opens and cover them with hardware cloth.

Of course ducks should have unlimited access to fresh water at all times, and they enjoy swimming, so having something like a kiddy pool is a must. You could get small plastic pond and put it into the ground with a drainage system instead. Lots of options for that, but be aware that you'll have to dump out, clean, and add new water to the pool regularly.

Once your duck start to get older, you'll be able to voice sex them. Drakes have low and raspy voices, and hens will start to quack loudly early on.
It's important that you have a good drake to duck (female) ratio to avoid overcrowding of your hens. You should have at least 3-4 hens per drake. For your situation I would not keep any drakes, unless you want an all drake (bachelor) flock. Drakes are less noisy and can get along well when there are not hens to fight over. That's if you don't mind not having eggs and just want pets.

There are lots of different breeds to choose from too. Some bred for meat or egg production, others for their looks or friendliness. All up to personal preference, though it is worthy to note that Pekin ducks don't live for quite as long and are prone to niacin deficiency. And extra small Call ducks can have issues breathing with how small their bills and nostrils are.

Hopefully this helps answer a few questions.

Hello,
I need help to convince my parents to let me get ducklings so I'm going to need information. I need to know all of the beginner's tips and what I will need to take care of them in winter, spring summer fall all the seasons. I live in a place where we get all seasons. and currently it is winter :)
Anyways, I was wondering if someone can give me a lot of information for beginners on raising ducklings, so I can fulfill my dream!
have a great day and happy holidays!!
I sent you a private message feel free to message you

It's important that you have a good drake to duck (female) ratio to avoid overcrowding of your hens. You should have at least 3-4 hens per drake.
I'd like to emphasize this! We frequently get members who pick up unsexed ducklings and are then distressed to have a less than ideal ratio. It can end very badly for the ducks so it can be best to order sexed ducklings, or adopt adults.

Back
Top Bottom