I need tips on keeping a stable humidity/temperature in my incubator

Amy's Animals

Songster
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Southern Oregon
I just put eggs in my incubator today. The temperature was exactly right, 99.5, when I put the eggs in but then when I closed the lid, it was back down to 98.4 and didn't go up, even after waiting 30 minutes. So I had to adjust the knob again. I need tips on how to keep it stable even when I close it after I open it to turn the eggs. Same thing with the humidity. I opened it and went down from a perfect 50% to 45% and didn't go back up to 50%, even after waiting 30 minutes. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

somtimes a small bowel of water can help with humidaty
smile.png

It's a styrofoam type, has 2 windows at the top. It's made by "Little Giant" and the model is 9200 (I think) it is a "still air" but a forced air fan has been added.

Little giant 'bators are pretty basic. Once you get the temp set, you shouldn't have to move the dial again.
It may take a little while for the temp to come back up after adding eggs or water. You should wait about an hour for it to re-stabilize. Remember... a hen will get up off the eggs to eat and relieve herself. The temp dropping a little for an hour or so won't hurt them. It may take longer than an hour to come back to 99.5 if the eggs were cold.
As for humidity, it will drop drastically anytime you open the 'bator. This won't hurt the eggs either... unless you open it during lockdown or before the hatch is complete. I usually keep my humidity closer to 35% - 40% for the 1st 18 days, then raise it to 60%-ish during lockdown. That is for chicken eggs, anyway. You didn't mention what you were hatching. If you need to raise the humidity, you can cut up a sponge into strips & put them in the water wells under the wire. The increased surface area from the sponges raises the humidity.
Do you have a reliable thermo/hygro?

Thank you, Paganbird.
I haven't opened it for more than 90 minutes and it's perfect again. I put a small bowl with some warm water is there and its keeping the humidity at 50%.
Yes, I'm hatching chicken eggs. Yes, I think I have a reliable thermo/hygro, it's a digital two-in-one and has done the job before. Thanks again!
smile.png

Sounds like you have it under control.
smile.png

I've had some pretty good hatches from my LG. At first, the temp/humidity fluctuations were nerve-wracking. After I got used to it, though, I thought that the LG was a pretty decent 'bator for the price.
Good Luck!

Quote:
Yeah, and better yet, I got two of them for free! This was the better incubator of the two because it was newer, had the fan, and an automatic egg turner. The other one was just a basic still air and a little older. I only have 7 eggs in there now so I'm not using the egg turner yet. I got them, along with a big, home-made wooden brooder, many galvanized feeders and waterers, plastic feeders/waters, and some wire cages from one of my older neighbors who is sick and getting out of the chicken business (he also used to raise geese and turkeys as well). He even tried to give me his 6 or so hens but they are all in pretty bad condition (overgrown toenails, bad scaley leg, etc.) so I didn't take them in. I would have if I had the time and space to nurse them all back to health but I don't and really don't want to get my other chickens sick as well.
smile.png
D.gif

I'm new to hatching eggs I bought a incabator day ago at 7 will be 24 hours since it's been on but I have moved it from the one set place I had it . And the temp was at 98.5 n it's now 99.5 now down to ,98.5??
And my humidity I just can't get right . It's at 40 it fluctuates. But I heard it's suppose be around 50-55 . Do I add more water to it ?
It's new bought from tractor supply . It's a
Farm Innovators Pro Series Circulated Air Incubator with Automatic Egg Turner.

I'm new to hatching eggs I bought a incabator day ago at 7 will be 24 hours since it's been on but I have moved it from the one set place I had it . And the temp was at 98.5 n it's now 99.5 now down to ,98.5??
And my humidity I just can't get right . It's at 40 it fluctuates. But I heard it's suppose be around 50-55 . Do I add more water to it ?
It's new bought from tractor supply . It's a
Farm Innovators Pro Series Circulated Air Incubator with Automatic Egg Turner.

Back
Top Bottom