I need to cull her right?

MizzClucker

Songster
5 Years
Dec 31, 2017
pancakes was hatched on Tuesday. Seemed good at first. Waked a bit funny at first. After a few days I thought how come she isn’t eating. She would go out of the cave to the food and water with the others and then just cheep loudly. Realized she wasn’t eating or drinking. So I started hand feeding her. I think she’s blind. She makes contact with the boiled egg yolk when I hold it while randomly pecking into the air but then she only hits that mark about 50% of the time. For water I have to dip her beak. This is obviously not sustainable. So give it to me straight. I have to cull her right? What is the best way to do it? It’s hard because she isn’t sick per se and now loves me and snuggles me after I feed and water her.

😔 My husband just took her outside to shoot her. Thanks for reassuring that we are doing the right thing. So tough.

pancakes was hatched on Tuesday. Seemed good at first. Waked a bit funny at first. After a few days I thought how come she isn’t eating. She would go out of the cave to the food and water with the others and then just cheep loudly. Realized she wasn’t eating or drinking. So I started hand feeding her. I think she’s blind. She makes contact with the boiled egg yolk when I hold it while randomly pecking into the air but then she only hits that mark about 50% of the time. For water I have to dip her beak. This is obviously not sustainable. So give it to me straight. I have to cull her right? What is the best way to do it? It’s hard because she isn’t sick per se and now loves me and snuggles me after I feed and water her.

Oh dang I’m sorry. I wish I would have seen this sooner. Decision was up to you 100% and how much you can tolerate to care for her. I’ve had experience with raising a blind quail chick. He did the same thing when he was a baby. But I helped him by getting creative by piling food up high so when he pecks, he would be getting food, I would set him in the water dish and let his feet get wet for him to know what water feels like and to understand that is what you drink. He actually did really well! Just had to keep the other males off him. But I’m sorry. I would have advised giving her more time to see if she could figure it out in her own. 😔 I know it was hard, I’m sorry.

Back
Top Bottom