I stepped on a baby chick. Feeling like garbage.

I set a 15 lb feeder on a five day old cornish cross chick once and it died. I felt horrible about it. I couldn't see it, and I didn't realize it hadn't moved out of the way. Yeah, I was going to eat it around 8 weeks old, but it deserved to have the best 8 weeks ever, and I had fully intended to provide that. I still feel badly for that chick.

Accidents happen. I changed my feeding routine to make sure I never squished a chick under the feeder again.

One of my hens Evie has issues with her vision and she pecks at the air. It takes her several times to get whatever she is pecking for and she also has to make several attempts to line herself up right with feeders and waterers. I think she has some sort of double vision at least in one eye. I’m not sure what could have happened when your chick got hurt but I thought I would tell you about Evie to give you some reassurance that they can learn to live with sight difficulties. Evie is one of my most robust hens.

You can try using your finger to see if she can focus and then moving it from side to side to see if she follows it with her eyes. This could give you an indication of whether she can see at all and from one or both eyes.

Sorry I can’t be of more help :(
That was a bunch of help thank you.

Back
Top Bottom