I think my cockerel killed my hen

Becks Chicks

Songster
Jun 3, 2022
Southwest WA
My 2 year old Spitzhauben passed away last night. She was my daughter's favorite :( Two days ago, I noticed that she was laying in the open brooder that I have. She seemed fine and was moving around when I got close and assumed she went in there for a dirt bath. I did note it mentally as unusual for her.

I also have a 15 week old Whiting True Blue cockerel so a bit of a size difference. I was out in the coop yesterday and the cockerel tried to mate with the Spitzy. It looked pretty violent and she wouldn't put weight on her foot after that. She was clearly hurt. I picked her up and placed her in the brooder with food and water and closed the doors so she could rest. I checked on her at 10 pm. She popped her head up and looked at me. I checked again first thing this morning and she had died.

I didn't see any blood when I put her in the brooder. Like I said, she wouldn't put weight on her foot. She did squawk a lot when I picked her up but I don't usually pick her up and assumed this was her normal. Maybe her wing also got hurt??

Do you think the cockerel killed her? Do you think it was something else and it just so happened that the cockerel jumped on her back and pinned her down? She was such a good girl. Never picked on anyone else. Seemed to always get along with the other hens and chicks.

ETA, I've removed the cockerel from the coop and we'll be culling tonight.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom