I think my hen is a Brown Leghorn

ApesMullen

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2020
I think that my hen Coco might be a brown leghorn hen. She looks exactly like them and I have been trying to find out what her breed is for the longest time because she is very independent and would not get along with other hens, also she has survived through A LOT. I just ordered some Oyster Shells for her to incorporate into her diet because I read that it's a good source of Calcium for them. I also read that their eggs should be large white eggs but hers are smaller, I'm thinking she might not be getting the nutrients she needs. She has been sitting for the past 21 days too and her crest has definitely shrunk and I am a bit worried about that. If anyone has any suggestions on what else I should feed her so I keep her healthy, let me know in the comments :). Also, I read that the breed doesn't go broody due to them being bred out of it, but she goes broody like every 2 months or so, does this mean she could be a hybrid with something else? Here are some pics of her as well, her crest looks way better in these photos as they were taken last year and the year before, and I know that going broody can definitely diminish a hens health and nutrition, but now that she's caring for one baby and she's walking around again, I want to give her everything she needs to be strong.

Attachments

• coco.jpg
    coco.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Coco2.jpg
    Coco2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 17
  • coco3.jpg
    coco3.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 18
Broodiness not strong indicator for Leghorns. Where did you get her?
Rescued her from Pelican Harbor Seabird Station, she was attacked by a cat in Hialeah, FL and they brought her in for spinal surgery, we went and adopted her after she recovered.

Color looks right for a brown leghorn except for her ear lobe. I am not a leghorn expert. @moonshiner is better for that. To me she looks part game as she is pretty solid in build, although I seldom see games with such floppy comes. They go broody and sometimes develop spurs. Some games come in that color and produce smallish eggs compared to store bought.

Color looks right for a brown leghorn except for her ear lobe. I am not a leghorn expert. @moonshiner is better for that. To me she looks part game as she is pretty solid in build, although I seldom see games with such floppy comes. They go broody and sometimes develop spurs. Some games come in that color and produce smallish eggs compared to store bought.
Do you think she could be mixed? Because her eggs have always been small even when she was at her healthiest.

Back
Top Bottom