Idea's for metal shed venting.

jasmullin

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2023
Eastern Washington State
Hello again. Still thinking (or overthinking) of idea's on how to vent this shed for chickens But still keep rain out. Get a lot of blowing rain in the Washington state area, so need to find the sweet spot for airflow and dryness. Father-in-law want to keep it looking upkept, so can't just tarp the whole thing.
81YOjrbZXCL._AC_SL1500_a.jpg

different options would be drilling three inch holes all along the top, all sides. Cutting strips at the top and bending the metal up at 45 degrees to get airflow but keep some rain cover (and/or add extra flashing) , Also debating adding a vent on the roof, something like this

61gecajauuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
or two 41wD5ZuaPqL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

near the back for are escape.

Also going to add sealable vents at the bottom, for the spring summer upwards airflow. Also, was told in another threat, might need to insulate the roof to keep water condensation down. Have a inch thick plastic foam board that should work for that, but have to make sure the chicks can't peck at it. If the roost are low enough that shouldn't be an issue. But rain and wet are my bigger problems.

Need to try and work with the shed itself as much as I can, and resist the urge to buy and bolt on all kinds of things. Converting that shed was my way of keeping things affordable, but if I add 30$ and 20$ there, that changes things fast.

I have a tendency to way overthink plans and want to keep adding things. Don't want to overdo it with vents and water blockers and flashing, but don't want to under vent and have sick chickies. Love to hear any advice people might have. How much is to much, how much overdesigned is overkill, how to keep it looking sleek without breaking the bank.

Get a lot of blowing rain in the Washington state area,
Large roof overhangs with open spaces just below eaves is the best for that scenario.
Awnings might work, but could tip the ugly factor for your FIL

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1683204505445.png

Looking, you can get 8inx24in steel roof flashing for 2$ a sheet at home depo. If theres issues with leaking, I could get that and paint it to match and extend eaves. Bend it to a sharper angle then the roof is for more blowing protection. Vent is 21$ and the caps are 2 for 14$.

Updated the location info

Hello again. Still thinking (or overthinking) of idea's on how to vent this shed for chickens But still keep rain out. Get a lot of blowing rain in the Washington state area, so need to find the sweet spot for airflow and dryness. Father-in-law want to keep it looking upkept, so can't just tarp the whole thing. View attachment 3492320

different options would be drilling three inch holes all along the top, all sides. Cutting strips at the top and bending the metal up at 45 degrees to get airflow but keep some rain cover (and/or add extra flashing) , Also debating adding a vent on the roof, something like this

View attachment 3492323
or two View attachment 3492324

near the back for are escape.

Also going to add sealable vents at the bottom, for the spring summer upwards airflow. Also, was told in another threat, might need to insulate the roof to keep water condensation down. Have a inch thick plastic foam board that should work for that, but have to make sure the chicks can't peck at it. If the roost are low enough that shouldn't be an issue. But rain and wet are my bigger problems.

Need to try and work with the shed itself as much as I can, and resist the urge to buy and bolt on all kinds of things. Converting that shed was my way of keeping things affordable, but if I add 30$ and 20$ there, that changes things fast.
The simplest way to do this is get a large hole saw and put in Clothes Dryer vents.

The use of dryer vents will make it easier if you want to add intake or exhaust fans.

This one is metal, 4" with moving louvers that open when the dryer is on, but you can fix them to one position fairly easy.

Fixed louvers 4" plastic.

2 x 6" Plastic

Round are easy to install dues to just needing the hole saw but you can use squared.

12"w x 6"h 1-Way Fixed Curved Blade AIR Supply Diffuser - Vent Duct Cover - Grille Register - Sidewall or Ceiling - High Airflow - White

See how the top just under the roof is separate metal panels, with louvers? Take those panels off and replace them with hardware cloth.

How does that preVENT (pun InTended) rain getting in? LOL.

Hehe!

It's true that the overhang of that shed roof is kinda small, but the rain would still have to be coming down pretty sideways. I get a lot of sideways rain here when I get rain at all, but having the top eight inches of the window in my stuffy attic room open doesn't get my books wet, though the distance down from the roof to the window is much further than on that shed.

Hehe!

It's true that the overhang of that shed roof is kinda small, but the rain would still have to be coming down pretty sideways. I get a lot of sideways rain here when I get rain at all, but having the top eight inches of the window in my stuffy attic room open doesn't get my books wet, though the distance down from the roof to the window is much further than on that shed.
Yeah I honestly don't see much of an issue with what you are suggesting.

Back
Top Bottom