Identifying chicks?

rvroman

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 14, 2012
I am going to be getting 4 chicks and would prefer them to be very specific breeds. The only places that have them here in wichita offer an assortment, and don't have specific breeds, the break it down into pullets, cockerels, and st run bantams. I can not order from an online hatchery due to my small order size.

I am looking for 1x leghorn (white), 1x orpington(preferably lavendaer), 1x bantam frizzle(preferably a docile breed) and 1x americana, aurana, or easter egger (any color)

Are there any tricks to identifying these breeds from others in day old chicks? What are some good characteristics to look for on the bantams to help identify gender, I can not have cockerels inside city limits. Is there anyway to tell what color they will be when they are mature? I am very partial to lavender and blue, but don't know how to pick those either.

Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Rachel

jumpy.gif

I would recommend looking into some of the breeds forums and seeing pictures of the chicks and what they eventually feather out to be. I don't have much knowledge about blue chick vs. lavender chick coloring, but I'm sure someone will have more input. Bantams are very hard to sex, that is why I order from MyPetChicken. They ship as few as three birds and will sex bantams

Back
Top Bottom