Ignore this.

Sorry that this thread says to Ignore, but it's informational. I have one of those books, and love it. I had wanted one for years.

On the word cull when studying these chicken breeding projects, I was confused by that word. I'm glad to hear that it doesn't mean they actually are killing all those chicks!

No I’m sorry didn’t mean to confuse you. The SOP is everything to a breeder. It gives you the guidance to move your lines forward. 1) it gives you the head to toe description of what the breed should look like 2) it gives you all the faults to cull from the breeding program, for your breed and the first 30 pages give examples that apply to all breeds 3) it gives you the point chart to evaluate each of yours bird against each other so you are able to choose the very best.
So to breed toward improving and you can’t keep everything you hatch, even master breeders cull 90% of what they hatch. To move forward they hatch hundreds of chicks, it’s the rules of 10: for every 100 chicks 10 will be worthy of breeding and 1 will be worthy to take to a show. Culling only means removing them from the breeding group because they are not your best or have a default. It can mean moving them to your pet/egg laying flock, rehoming them to someone else for a pet or egg layer and yes some people do process and eat their culls. This is where feed bill comes in it’s expensive to hatch and raise 100’s of chicks so knowing the defaults and defects early let’s you sell to pets homes or process for eating.
No its fine, i was just sleepy and nothing made sense at the moment.

I see, yes, if your into breeding out a specific breed or certain genetics you have to cull some birds or you would have thousands.

Thank you for clearing that up!

Back
Top Bottom