Illness/treatment confusion- advice needed

ashandvine

Songster
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Western MA
In reading through numerous .edu sites, general poultry and some BYC threads I have become increasingly demoralized by my ability to know what is going on with my chickens as so many things manifest similarly. I am treating for worms after my son said he saw worms in one hen's droppings. None other have been found, as we have looked since, but treatments started anyway. Yes, fresh droppings were examined as we could catch each hen defecating.
It has now been suggested that my rooster has Gape Worms, and possibly a second hen now showing the gaping trait as of yesterday. If someone with more experience and real knowledge could address my concerns regarding my flock and specifically these two birds I would appreciate the assistance.
Rooster is ~2 yrs and Hen is less than 6 mos. and only showing signs of gaping and shaking her head.
Rooster was bought as an adult and been with me almost 3 mos. He came with a rales/wheezy sound in his breathing. We only hear this when he's been chased and his respiration is up/labored.
After seeing him gaping the past two days Gape Worm was suspected. Visual inspection does not confirm red worms in throat. Lots of thick saliva, rather mucus like in beak after running around though and very thick this morning when Safeguard was given.
There are no sores or swelling or any other symptom that I have not described. Eating, watering, moving, mating and defecation all seem normal.
I do put oacv in water. They are free-ranged. I do put Borax everywhere. Dustbath has DE with bentonite, stove ash and sand.

Thank you for your educated guesses and recommendations.

Last edited:
In reading through numerous .edu sites, general poultry and some BYC threads I have become increasingly demoralized by my ability to know what is going on with my chickens as so many things manifest similarly. I am treating for worms after my son said he saw worms in one hen's droppings. None other have been found, as we have looked since, but treatments started anyway. Yes, fresh droppings were examined as we could catch each hen defecating.
It has now been suggested that my rooster has Gape Worms, and possibly a second hen now showing the gaping trait as of yesterday. If someone with more experience and real knowledge could address my concerns regarding my flock and specifically these two birds I would appreciate the assistance.
Rooster is ~2 yrs and Hen is less than 6 mos. and only showing signs of gaping and shaking her head.
Rooster was bought as an adult and been with me almost 3 mos. He came with a rales/wheezy sound in his breathing. We only hear this when he's been chased and his respiration is up/labored.
After seeing him gaping the past two days Gape Worm was suspected. Visual inspection does not confirm red worms in throat. Lots of thick saliva, rather mucus like in beak after running around though and very thick this morning when Safeguard was given.
There are no sores or swelling or any other symptom that I have not described. Eating, watering, moving, mating and defecation all seem normal.
I do put oacv in water. They are free-ranged. I do put Borax everywhere. Dustbath has DE with bentonite, stove ash and sand.

Thank you for your educated guesses and recommendations.
When worming, it's always best to worm all your birds at once. If you have a large flock, you can always worm half one day, the other half the next day. Always worm a second time, at about the 10th day. Gapeworm are actually rare in chickens, but a bird with gapeworm would require very aggressive worming treatments. They clog the trachea and the bird suffocates to death in a short amount of time.
You mentioned that when you got the rooster at 3 months old, he had rales and was wheezing/gaping/mucous...typical symptoms of a respiratory disease. Which disease? I dont know, you'd have to get bloodwork done to find out EXACTLY what he has, same with your 6 month old hen.
I always recommend culling birds that have respiratory diseases. Respiratory diseases are contageous, spreading from one bird to another. How fast? Depends on the incubation times. Treatments are available....that's just it...treatments, but there are no cures for respiratory diseases in poultry.

Thank you. I am working with Safeguard per your suggestion after starting with Ivermectin nearly 10 days ago when we thought it was just round worm. I never heard him wheezing unless he was being chased down for something/ie stressed. He is actually 2 years old and has been here about 2 months going toward three. The strange gaping and shaking has just shown up. As stated, I have seen no other symptoms. I am reading Flubanvet ... I read Safeguard... I read cull. I read a lot and end up a bit confused. I could not confirm worms visually. Are you saying that treating him will not cure the condition and I will be chasing my tail with Gape now? He has been here long enough for it to be a pest for sure. I would hate to cull everyone. I have quite a few birds, some critically rare, so if there were a chance to not have to cull I would prefer that. It isn't about sentiment quite as much as money and preservation. Be frank.

This is a total and complete "shot in the dark," but have you noticed the gaping increase after feeding them?
When I had Cornish Cross, at about 6 weeks old I suspected Gapeworm as well, because when I was out there with them, (usually to feed them,) many birds would sit there gasping for air. In the end, it turned out that it was not Gapeworm, but just that they were eating too much at once without drinking any water. Their crop was getting so full that it was blocking off their windpipe. IF that's what's happening, all you'd have to do is hold the bird down with one hand and, with the other hand, gently pull their crop away from the windpipe so they can breath. In the long run, feed in smaller amounts and make sure they drink water before feeding them. I really hope this helps! Otherwise, get well soon birdies!
hugs.gif

Thank you.  I am working with Safeguard per your suggestion after starting with Ivermectin nearly 10 days ago when we thought it was just round worm.  I never heard him wheezing unless he was being chased down for something/ie stressed.  He is actually 2 years old and has been here about 2 months going toward three.  The strange gaping and shaking has just shown up.  As stated, I have seen no other symptoms.  I am reading Flubanvet ... I read Safeguard... I read cull.  I read a lot and end up a bit confused.  I could not confirm worms visually.  Are you saying that treating him will not cure the condition and I will be chasing my tail with Gape now?  He has been here long enough for it to be a pest for sure.  I would hate to cull everyone.  I have quite a few birds, some critically rare, so if there were a chance to not have to cull I would prefer that.  It isn't about sentiment quite as much as money and preservation.  Be frank.
CHeck the ears on the hen as well. Mine did that but actually had something stuck in her ear. Once out she quit.

Could have ear mites-dust with Sevin or poultry dust. If someone has a discharge, or wheezing like you said, treat with Tylan in the water. It sounds like respiratory.

I can understand how you feel with this overwhelming amount of input and not knowing exactly what to do or what they have. Has any chicken come to your flock recently?

With all this stuff, it's best to KISS (keep it simple). If someone has a runny nose or wheezing or coughing , those are respiratory symptoms and need a respiratory antibiotic probably for the whole flock.

Shaking their head could be a part of that, or bugs. DE does not kill bugs.

You will be right more often if you start at the most common ailments that chickens get. That's most likely it.

Back
Top Bottom