Im getting bourbon reds

cmobley

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 4, 2015
saraland alabama
I've been wanting and thinking about turkeys since I got my first chickens several years ago. I've raised quail and ducks and chickens with great success. I've tried hatching turkey eggs once and failed, mainly due to my job sending me off the last 3 days of lockdown. I've decided I'm tired of waiting and I want some bourbon reds. I've read they have good meat they can breed on their own and pretty hardy. I know they'll need game starter and they'll get some free range but mostly flock raiser or layena. I dunno what else there is to be prepared for im getting poults in May I've found a breeder thats not far from me. Thinking about asking him if I could come see his set up but you know how some folks are don't like people poking around to much. Anyway any bourbon red owners here have any additional info to share in general?

I wouldn't feed them layer "chicken" feed EVER. It is just too low in protein for turkeys. I would feed an all flock feed which would also be fine for any other poultry you have. They may or may not get along with other poultry long term. (Some people have no issues, other people end up with dead chickens and/or ducks.) I wouldn't treat them like dogs with feathers. I see multiple posts DAILY from different people complaining that their "pet" tom is all of a sudden attacking them. He has been raised as a pet and has ZERO natural "respect"/fear of humans. I NEVER see breeders that treat them like TURKEYS post things like this. For one thing a good breeder won't tolerate nasty behavior because nasty disposition is hereditary more often than not. So nasty aggressive birds are culled. And for another, they aren't treated like dogs with feathers.

I wouldn't feed them layer "chicken" feed EVER. It is just too low in protein for turkeys. I would feed an all flock feed which would also be fine for any other poultry you have. They may or may not get along with other poultry long term. (Some people have no issues, other people end up with dead chickens and/or ducks.) I wouldn't treat them like dogs with feathers. I see multiple posts DAILY from different people complaining that their "pet" tom is all of a sudden attacking them. He has been raised as a pet and has ZERO natural "respect"/fear of humans. I NEVER see breeders that treat them like TURKEYS post things like this. For one thing a good breeder won't tolerate nasty behavior because nasty disposition is hereditary more often than not. So nasty aggressive birds are culled. And for another, they aren't treated like dogs with feathers.
I read through some older posts and saw exactly what your saying about them. I'll definitely keep that in mind when dealing with the older toms.

Back
Top Bottom