im looking to make my own feed for my birds. post your mixes here!

I just got 2 girls that were completely grain fed and I'm trying to introduce some veggies into their diet. They are stuck in their run for a couple of weeks until they get used to it being home, so they aren't able to scratch around the yard yet.

They haven't been too receptive to anything BUT grain or pellets until I made them this mixture and they gobbled it up:
big_smile.png

Red leaf lettuce (or any green for that matter) chopped finely.
Organic Scratch (Barley, wheat, oats)
Flax Seed
Very finely chopped frozen peaches
a Small amount of plain yogurt to help mix it all together.

I'd love to hear other ideas... I'm new to all of this too.

Unless you are mixing large amounts of feed it would not be good, price wise nor for the nutritional standpoint. Some of the ingredients only small amounts are used per 100 lbs of the mix. Buying and storing these needed components will not be good idea. Good name brands of feed that have a balanced ration is your best bet.

Last edited:
this couple have some really interesting articles on creating your own feed mix. They also have interesting ideas on the subject.

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Poultry.html

Their whole page is an interesting read.

I know that some people feed their dogs the BARF diet and have good results despite the fact that experts tell us that we can't create our own dog food unless we have a degree. So, I am open to listening to someone elses results on making their own chicken feed.

Last edited:
I have a good recipe but it is in bulk so you will have to do the math to scale it down it;)
For LAYING HENS
110 Pounds Wheat meal
110 pounds Corn meal
11o lb Grasins( oats barley rye)
30 lb dried milk
20lb ground oyster shells
5 lb salt
Hope you find it useful and yes this recipe makes 385 pounds of feed
Good luck
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom