I'm taking in a rooster this afternoon.

Aug 6, 2021
Indiana
I am taking in a Sebright / Plymouth Rock hybrid rooster today. He is a Juvenal. Just coming of age. He was a rescue that a friend of mine has taken in for a week to make sure he's good and healthy. But she has two roosters and did not want another. Since I was hoping that one of the eggs she gave me would become a rooster and we still don't know since they're only 4 days old she asked if I wanted this one. After some consideration I've decided to take it. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, right? She said that I can just put him in with the girls. I have my brooder with my five baby chicks in the chicken run and my coop any suggestions?

Don't just put him in with the girls. They kick the snot out of him.
He should be quarantined for 30 days to be safe. 7 days at your friends house is not enough to be certain he is disease free.
After the quarantine period is over, place him in a segregated area of your run where he will have shade and his own food and water and the girls can meet him through the fence but no one can touch him and he them. Leave them this way for a week and then let him mingle with them.

Don't just put him in with the girls. They kick the snot out of him.
He should be quarantined for 30 days to be safe. 7 days at your friends house is not enough to be certain he is disease free.
After the quarantine period is over, place him in a segregated area of your run where he will have shade and his own food and water and the girls can meet him through the fence but no one can touch him and he them. Leave them this way for a week and then let him mingle with them.
I really don't have a place to separate him. So maybe I should just call it off. And see if one of my babies is a rooster.

I think the OP has only baby chicks. I would not take this rooster. Cockerels tend to become bullies if they are the biggest thing in the flock. If you have mature hens, then that makes for different advice.

He's in my brooder pen, chicks are back inside. He has no spurs!

I think the OP has only baby chicks. I would not take this rooster. Cockerels tend to become bullies if they are the biggest thing in the flock. If you have mature hens, then that makes for different advice.
I think he's Sussex what do you think? I have 8 full grown hens as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20220726_145805336_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20220726_145805336_HDR~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220726_145749894_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20220726_145749894_HDR~2.jpg
    892.9 KB · Views: 5
I missed that you had full grown hens. If they have shared the air space, then the quarantine is a moot point. He looks healthy to me, and to do a proper quarantine is a huge amount of work, and if you don't do it right, you may as not do it at all. But if those hens are your hens, don't worry about it now.

I think he is darling, and I think that the older hens will be a bit mean to him. In my book that is ok, he learns he is not the top dog...yet. They may not let him roost with them. As long as they are not killing him, and you have plenty of space, they will work it out.

Mrs K

I missed that you had full grown hens. If they have shared the air space, then the quarantine is a moot point. He looks healthy to me, and to do a proper quarantine is a huge amount of work, and if you don't do it right, you may as not do it at all. But if those hens are your hens, don't worry about it now.

I think he is darling, and I think that the older hens will be a bit mean to him. In my book that is ok, he learns he is not the top dog...yet. They may not let him roost with them. As long as they are not killing him, and you have plenty of space, they will work it out.

Mrs K
He's alone now and now at all happy I checked on him. He was awake. I offered him works he went to take them then got mad and pecked my finger hard then gave me a hateful mad look. I put the worms on his perch and left. Lol his eyes are red. Beautiful but ticked! I wish I had a picture of his eyes, that look! I'll let him free range with them tomorrow. I feel sorry for him though. He looks very healthy.

Back
Top Bottom