I'm trying to design an ultra cheap chicken coop with what I have on hand and I need help.

Mflood

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 5, 2014
Southwest Michigan. Zone 5b
Hi everyone,

I'm a first time chicken owner, who is trying to build a chicken coop cheaply, with what I have. We are getting 15 chicks (laying hens) either next week or the following week. Here's what I have:

2- 4' x 8' shipping crates. They are 2' high.
5- 8' long 2" x 2" wooden boards (posts)
4- 6' long 4" x 4" posts
2- rolls of 3' x 50' chicken wire.
Paint, really any kind that I want (my husband is a painter).
3# tar paper for the roof.
Some scrap 2 x 4's, plywood pieces of various sizes, and some other wood scraps, all from an old shed that we tore down.

I live in SW Michigan, so our winters do get cold, but not super, duper cold. Our typical temps in winter are in the 30's. It can get below 0, but it usually does not last long. I saw a coop design from Minnesota, where she had a large, fully enclosed run, that she covered in thick plastic sheeting, during the cold winter months. The chickens could use this during the cold winters and it sort became part of their coop. I like that idea.

Anyway, my original idea was to plop one of the shipping boxes on top of the other, open sides together, to make a 4' high, 8' x 4' box. Then I was going to cut out the necessary doors and vents etc. This would be 32 sq. ft.

Now I'm concerned that this will not be large enough for 15 chickens. I was only going to get 10, figuring a couple might die and we'd end up with 6, which was our original number. 15 was the minimum order at our local hatchery. Since it is June, and we're picking them up, they could all live...which is great! But...now I don't have space. And, I really don't have more money to put into this. Either way the chicks are coming and I need a coop! I'd appreciate any help that you could offer.

I did think about putting both crates on their sides and stacking them...open sides facing frontward, and then filling in the gaps with smaller boards, the run would come off of the front and be 8' x 18'. That would give me 32 sq. ft. of coop. also, just a bit less cutting. I'm guessing that 32 sq. ft. would not be enough for 15 chickens, even with access to a large run right? And, will chickens separate into two separate boxes or would I need to connect them somehow?

Or I could leave one crate with the top open and facing up and then turn the other one and pull it forward and then close the back gap with plywood. This would give me a two level coop, where I have to cut doors and such in the front as well as sides/back, but it would a little bit more sq. footage. I figured a combined 48 sq. ft. which probably would be enough, right?

The point is that I need help. Thank you so much. I have 7 children and the chickens are being paid for by my 10 year old son. He was given a gift of $50 and really wanted chickens. He is going to do a lot of the care and he paid for the chicks. He wants to give eggs to our family and then sell whatever is leftover. We would use the meat later, after the prime laying period is over. We might breed in the future too. Any advice?

It might not be such a bad idea to see if you can't gift some of your chicks to somebody else near you to let them raise them. I bet you probably know somebody who wouldn't mind having 1 or 2 chickens, but its kind of hard to just get one or two chicks.

I don't have a complete answer for you, but I will say this. If you ordered "straight run" chicks, the chances are that about half of them will turn out to be cockerels. At that point, you will probably want to somehow dispose of the little roosters. That disposal could include selling them or giving them away, or the freezer is an option if you have the heart and the means.

Between now and then, your 4' x 4' x 8' coop should be large enough. I would try to use some of the lumber to build a platform to hold the shipping crates off the ground, and to put some pitch on the roof so that rain will run off. A small coop can be an advantage during the winter, allowing the chicks to produce their own heat. Maybe by spring, you will have more materials/money available to improve the coop and run.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Maybe you could find some more scrap materials or pallets to make the coop bigger. 32sq ft is a bit small for 15 birds. Ideally, each chicken would have 4-5 sq ft each. I am a novice builder. My husband and I are nearly finished with our coop made from 99% recycled materials and probably 90% pallets. Here is my coop thread. Maybe it will give you some ideas. I have seen others use the pallets whole but we took everything apart to re-purpose each board.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/872858/pallet-coop-the-beginning

The boxes have pallets attached to them, so they will be raised off of the ground by about 7 inches. I ordered 15 pullets (females) so I will potentially have 15 hens. I think that we prefer to keep them, since we paid for them, I just need the coop to be larger. If I have a two story coop, will the chickens go up to the upper level?

The boxes have pallets attached to them, so they will be raised off of the ground by about 7 inches. I ordered 15 pullets (females) so I will potentially have 15 hens. I think that we prefer to keep them, since we paid for them, I just need the coop to be larger. If I have a two story coop, will the chickens go up to the upper level?

Could you sell some of them?

Not sure where your getting the size ratio info from. All I have are small coops, from 11 sq feet to 8 sq feet (interior space) sizes, four total. I have over 60 chickens. I have seen half of them all chose a 8 foot square coop and use it without any problems. During the summer and winter. In the winter the smaller size allows them to keep each other warm than a larger coop would, in the summer I have vents that I open. It worked fine for me for years this way. Of course I have separate nest boxes, that are not part of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom