Implant Didn’t Solve Egg Yolk Peritonitis

Cassondra53

Chirping
Sep 29, 2020
Unfortunately, my sweet girl Chili has had a year of antibiotics, 6 trips to the vet, a Suprelorin implant, and a surgery to remove lash egg material from her abdomen. She got the implant about 1 month ago, and just this week she’s showing signs of symptoms coming back - laid a lash egg, egg yolk material in her poop, and her tummy is starting to swell again. I assumed that an implant and surgery to clean her infection out would do the trick - what are the other options to help cure EYP if implant isn’t working?
Thank you!!

Unfortunately, my sweet girl Chili has had a year of antibiotics, 6 trips to the vet, a Suprelorin implant, and a surgery to remove lash egg material from her abdomen. She got the implant about 1 month ago, and just this week she’s showing signs of symptoms coming back - laid a lash egg, egg yolk material in her poop, and her tummy is starting to swell again. I assumed that an implant and surgery to clean her infection out would do the trick - what are the other options to help cure EYP if implant isn’t working?
Thank you!!
I'm sorry about your hen.

Sadly, there is no cure for EYP. Salpingitis (Lash Egg) is inflammation of the oviduct, so the caseous exudes can still accumulate even with antibiotic treatment (there's no "cure" for this either).

An implant may stop ovulation but often hens still experience difficulties with treatment.
Reproductive disorders in laying hens are an unfortunate reality that must be faced.

I'd make her comfortable, treat her symptoms the best you can and when she's in a continual state of decline, gently let her go.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. It's heartbreaking.
:hugs

When did she have the surgery? I ask because my duck who has the implants continued to pass material that was already accumulated for a while after the implants were in place. I also wonder if she maybe needs 2 implants. You might be able to have her spayed, but that procedure is very risky.

My duck had internal laying, but never EYP because we were able to stave off the infection because of early detection and aggressive treatment. Your girl may not have infection, either. I would 100% take her to the vet.

All that said, it may be time to let nature take it's course. Keep having her abdomen drained. Maybe keep on the antibiotics as long as she's feeling ok. But if she starts to suffer, it may be time to consider letting her go.

I'm sorry about your hen.

Sadly, there is no cure for EYP. Salpingitis (Lash Egg) is inflammation of the oviduct, so the caseous exudes can still accumulate even with antibiotic treatment (there's no "cure" for this either).

An implant may stop ovulation but often hens still experience difficulties with treatment.
Reproductive disorders in laying hens are an unfortunate reality that must be faced.

I'd make her comfortable, treat her symptoms the best you can and when she's in a continual state of decline, gently let her go.
Thank you for the advice. So sad :-( I hate seeing her with such low energy.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. It's heartbreaking.
:hugs

When did she have the surgery? I ask because my duck who has the implants continued to pass material that was already accumulated for a while after the implants were in place. I also wonder if she maybe needs 2 implants. You might be able to have her spayed, but that procedure is very risky.

My duck had internal laying, but never EYP because we were able to stave off the infection because of early detection and aggressive treatment. Your girl may not have infection, either. I would 100% take her to the vet.

All that said, it may be time to let nature take it's course. Keep having her abdomen drained. Maybe keep on the antibiotics as long as she's feeling ok. But if she starts to suffer, it may be time to consider letting her go.
I was wondering if two implants would make any difference. I’m hoping to get her into the vet asap. This will be her 8th trip to the vet for the same issue. She did have pus accumulated in her after the first implant, and we surgically removed it. Poor girl has been through a lot

I was wondering if two implants would make any difference. I’m hoping to get her into the vet asap. This will be her 8th trip to the vet for the same issue. She did have pus accumulated in her after the first implant, and we surgically removed it. Poor girl has been through a lot
It will make zero difference, unfortunately, the kindest thing would be to have her put to sleep since it seems like she's getting worse.
There's no cure for eyp.

Back
Top Bottom